Internship Profile: Emily Dillon Drives Sales at Gartner

Name: Emily Dillon

Hometown: Marvin, North Carolina

Major: Marketing with a minor in sales

Internship: Dillon joined Gartner as a global technology sales intern in Fort Myers, Florida. As an intern in the mid-size enterprise business unit, she was responsible for collaborating with a team of account executives by completing extensive research on 10+ technology companies to identify mission-critical priorities, key initiatives and company objectives. Dillon ultimately drove value to her team and strengthened her sales knowledge.

How HPU helped you get there: “The entire HPU experience came into clearer focus for me during my internship, and I understand more how I’m being prepared for my future on campus. Experiential learning, exposure to conferences, board rooms that simulate Fortune 500 companies and growing an understanding of business etiquette, are all cornerstones of the foundation HPU has helped me build for my future. I felt a sense of self-confidence entering the Gartner internship, allowing me to compete and excel in my program. HPU teaches me not only important subject matter which allows me to be proficient in sales and marketing but also is providing me with important life skills to differentiate me and allow me to grow. During my freshman year, I visited the Office of Career and Professional Development and met with my advisor, April Conser. This initial meeting with April was a pivotal point in my professional development. Through a series of meetings, April and I collaborated over my prior work experience, skills and leadership knowledge to build a dynamic resume and Linkedin profile. The early development of both my resume and Linkedin helped me differentiate myself from thousands of other applicants and get selected as the only sophomore within the 187 Gartner interns in the Fort Myers office.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Larry Quinn has made a huge impact on my personal and professional development at HPU. He constantly helps me shape a unique personal elevator pitch to differentiate myself in interviews, career fairs and sales competitions. He’s exposed me to influential business leaders and is always encouraging me throughout my educational journey at HPU. With Professor Quinn’s insight, knowledge and wisdom I have grown tremendously and feel very confident about entering the business world while still a student.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Throughout my ten-week internship, I spent five weeks in rigorous sales training and five weeks on the sales floor. In training, interns were taught Gartner’s best sales practices to help understand customers, competitors, markets and technologies. On the sales floor, I had the opportunity to attend and facilitate a wide variety of calls with executives and Gartner analysts to help clients save time, money and mitigate risk. This experience has helped me grow my business acumen, sales knowledge and insight to the inner workings of a Fortune 500 company.”