Internship Profile: Kacey Ruben Verifies an interest in Videography

Name: Kacey Ruben

Hometown: Dumfries, Virginia

Major: Communication with a focus in electronic media

Internship: Ruben worked as the video intern for ICF, where she created internal videos about programs and resources employees access to continue professional development within their careers. The videos she created were distributed to over 5,000 employees across the world. Ruben’s day-to-day tasks included attending strategy meetings, managing projects plans, filming employees, designing graphics and editing videos using her knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects.

How HPU helped you get there: “As a member of the HPU Media Fellows Program, I connected to a community of passionate thinkers and media change makers from my first day on campus. The program provides so many opportunities to pursue my dreams through networking, workshops and real-world application. The program provides many opportunities for traveling to conferences and industry-leading companies. Over the course of my three years at HPU, I have traveled to New York City and Los Angeles and have networked with professionals at the TODAY show, the CW network, Google, Hulu, YouTube, the Staples Center, the Television Critics Association and many other prominent companies. From reviewing different versions of my resume and cover letter, to helping me prepare for phone and virtual interviews, the Office of Career and Professional Development is staffed with friendly and knowledgeable professionals who truly care about both my personal and professional aspirations. I always feel more confident walking out of the Office of Career and Professional Development.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Dr. Kristina Bell, director of the Media Fellows Program. She was appointed director my sophomore year, and since then she has challenged me to become a better version of myself. She has a real interest in helping me achieve my goals, but she is also invested in who I am as an individual. I don’t think you can find that kind of personal mentorship anywhere else. I am confident Dr. Bell will be someone I can count on long after I walk across the graduation stage in May.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “From the first day at my internship, I felt that my opinion mattered and that I was important to the conversation. I believe that internships not only give you insight into your desired industry, but they give you insight into the company culture, workflow and allow you to explore your talents in a professional setting. My time at ICF developed my portfolio while building on new skills, and I got to work with such a diverse and talented team. I had multiple informational interviews with managers and leaders in various sectors of the company to better understand what employers are looking for in recent graduates. My summer at ICF left me feeling prepared to take on senior year and my future job search with a refreshed perspective and new skills in tow.”