Internship Profile: Philip Filiopoulos Finds a Future with HOGAN

Name: Philip Filiopoulos

Hometown: Annapolis, Maryland

Major: Finance with a minor in sales

Internship: Filiopoulos held the role of commercial brokerage and land development intern at HOGAN. Covering various tasks day-to-day, Filiopoulos met with clients and sat in on meetings to gain knowledge of the commercial brokerage field. Since he has a real estate license, he assisted in writing contracts and contacting agents about different properties.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has given me not only the knowledge on how to be successful but also the courage. HPU taught me you don’t need to know everything to get a job. What matters is how hard you work for it and how bad you want it. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped to turn my mediocre resume into a beautiful piece of work. They taught me how to present myself for interviews and how to be prepared for whatever question I get asked.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Thomas James was my most impactful mentor because he exposed me to this industry. I took his real estate investment analysis class and was able to learn about a field of work that combines my love of real estate and finance. I told him I was applying for internships in that field and he was nothing but supportive and encouraging. When I got the internship, he was the first professor I told because I knew he would be the most excited.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship was like a roller coaster and I have come to realize that is what the real world is like. You don’t do the same exact thing every day, so you need to know how to apply your knowledge in different ways to accomplish a task.”