Internship Profile: Ryley Fredericksen Manages Social Media at Medi USA

Name: Ryley Fredericksen

Hometown: Parker, Colorado

Major: Media and pop-culture and a minor in sales

Internship: Fredericksen spent the summer as a social media marketing intern at Medi USA where she helped brainstorm, research, create and post content relative to the company’s brand. Her projects included recruiting influencers and building the companies weakest social media platforms. She also worked on several capstone projects that helped benefit the company in the long run.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me get where I am now in several ways. I have taken every opportunity they offered, including a weekend in New York City, a couple of weeks in Los Angeles and a semester in Europe. They have taught me how to behave in a business setting, and helped me make my resume and LinkedIn as impressive as possible. I was involved in making a documentary on surfing, and I was able to use the studio on campus for my own Late Night show. HPU has helped me create and experience things that will, and have helped me reach my career goals. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me make my resume the best it could be (after about eight drafts) and have mentored me over the phone when I’ve had questions or been discouraged. And along with the Communications faculty, they connected me with the internship I currently have.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I have had so many impactful mentors at HPU. Charisse McGhee-Lazarou believed in me and accepted me into the Media Fellows Program. She has supported me in my everyday life, including my crazy creative ideas and my high goals for the future. Joe Michaels has never been my professor but has taught me so much at HPU. He is always more than happy to assist me and support me in my studies and creativity. He goes out of his way to help his students.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has been better than anything I could have asked for. Everyone I work for is so nice and willing to teach me what they can. I have been blessed to gain real-life social media marketing experience this summer and I feel more confident now that I have worked in an office setting, I learned how to use more applications involved in social media marketing, and know it will count as experience when I am looking for a job after I graduate.”