Internship Profile: Stone Sirpilla Studies Sponsorship at the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Name: Stone Sirpilla

Hometown: Canton, Ohio

Major: Accounting with a minor in sales

Internship: Sirpilla spent time at the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a gold jacket relations and sponsorship intern over the summer. He worked under the Senior Vice President of Gold Jacket Relations and Sponsorship and assisted in various projects leading up to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Week, which gave him exposure to marketing, event management and communications.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU focuses on every student’s future. Every class incorporates information that will be helpful in future endeavors and in a variety of professions. There are so many great opportunities on campus that you can participate in. All of the clubs, activity fairs and more help prepare you for your future. I cannot think of a better school when it comes to preparing students for their careers. I’m proud to be a Student Ambassador at HPU, and I talk directly to prospective students and their parents to share with them what makes HPU so special. Last year, I also completed an internship during the spring semester where the Office of Career and Professional Development helped me through the process of getting the internship and edited all the specific documents that were needed for the application process. They helped me through the whole thing and are a great resource.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor has been Dr. Akir Khan. He is a driven individual and made me want to be my best self. I don’t know if I would have done as well as I did my freshman year without him as my freshman Success Coach. Dr. Khan helped me pursue my first internship and the best part about him is his desire for all people to succeed. He and the freshmen success team go above and beyond to do whatever it takes to help you.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “This internship is something that I will never forget. I worked full-time and everyone was so welcoming and friendly. I made lifelong friends with people from all over the country, and the internship kept me busy. Growing up, I always attended the different events held by the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Knowing what goes on behind the scenes now, it is incredible to realize the preparation it takes to produce a week-long national event of that scale. I experienced what my life could be like after college, by working in a professional setting that promotes “excellence” in all that they do. I believe strongly that every internship teaches you something about yourself and the field you have interest in pursuing. I got a better idea of what I want to do and the skills that I need to develop to achieve those goals. During my internship, I was part of daily executive meetings, giving me insight into business protocol and how executives of various departments interact and rely on each other to complete the full picture. I added to my network by meeting board members and sponsors, which could also lead to potential future business opportunities.”