Meet Emily Lyon

This story is featured in the Spring 2019 edition of the HPU Magazine. Discover below how one HPU student-athlete made the most of her four years at High Point University. 

A senior goalkeeper for the women’s soccer team, Lyon is a four-time Dean’s List honoree, four-time Millis Scholar-Athlete and was accepted into medical school at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. Before graduating from HPU in May, the Wexford, Pennsylvania, athlete earned 2018 Google Cloud Academic All-District honors after being selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). Lyon is the eighth Panther in women’s soccer history and the first-ever HPU keeper to earn the Academic All-District distinction.

What did you study at HPU, and what are you doing now?

I earned two degrees from HPU — a Bachelor of Science in exercise science with a concentration in exercise physiology, and a Bachelor of Arts in biology. Through my HPU experiences and earning those two degrees, I was accepted into medical school at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. Now, I’m pursuing my dream to go into trauma or emergency medicine for the United States Air Force. The military has been a big part of my family, which has inspired me to take my passion in medicine and give back to our country.

Who in your family served in the Armed Forces?

My grandpa served in Vietnam as an Army pilot, and my uncle is currently serving in Afghanistan. He’s one of the most prominent figures in my family that’s inspired me. Growing up, he and his family were always moving all around the country, and we would visit them wherever they relocated. I just loved going onto each and every Army base and seeing that way of life and all the people who inspire me.

What was the process of applying to medical school like?

I met with the Office of Career and Professional Development during my junior year to set up a timeline of medical school applications and goals. They helped me generate ideas for my personal statement, suggested good MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) prep courses, and taught me how to choose a program that was right for me. I studied for many months for the MCAT, and I spent the summer before my senior year taking the exam and applying to medical schools. After all my applications were submitted, I met with Dr. Bill Gentry, director of Career and Professional Development, to prepare for interviews and practice with mock interviews. When I went in for my real interview, I nailed it and soon after received my acceptance!

What are some of the challenges you faced in taking on a double major and competing in Division I women’s soccer?

I think it’s been tough to manage my time, especially in the fall when we traveled so much and were on the bus so much. I learned to study and write papers on the trip. But I think the hardest part of my pre-med concentration was being so much more than a student. If you want to attend medical school, you must get involved in your community and be a prominent leader on your team. I also focused my time on getting a campus job, being part of campus life, building a robust resume and becoming a well-rounded person.

How would you summarize your time at High Point University?

I’m so thankful for everything. From the academics to the athletics at High Point University, everything built me into a wonderful candidate for medical school and a wonderful person. It has all enabled me to carry on the rest of my life and my future. For my teammates who are going to be my best friends for the rest of my life, to my coaches who have been such a great support system for me, I’m really thankful for everything that HPU has brought me.