HPU Adds Four New Members to Board of Visitors

scholarship

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 16, 2019 – High Point University has appointed four new members to its Board of Visitors. The board is composed of more than 100 business leaders, alumni, friends and community advocates of HPU who are recognized for their character, success, philanthropy and leadership.

“We appreciate the ways these individuals have contributed their leadership and service to High Point University and the greater community,” says HPU President Dr. Nido Qubein. “HPU deeply values their support, and we are proud to have them represent the university and serve as an inspiration to our students.”

The recently appointed members are as follows:

Board of Visitors

Linda O’Briant is a community advocate, philanthropist and fashion-industry professional. She finds joy as a motivational speaker who wishes to educate, motivate and inspire stylists to be their personal best. She spent 32 years with Doncaster and built one of the most successful agencies in the company’s 87-year history. In 2018, O’Briant was recruited to work for Carlisle/Etcetera, New York. She was the first woman to chair the Endowment Board at High Point Regional Hospital and has served on the High Point Arts Council, Mental Health Board and now serves on Good Friends and Eastern Music Festival boards.

“I look so forward to the opportunity of serving on the Board of Visitors for High Point University because I have lived my entire life with the same values and principles that are taught at this great university,” says O’Briant. “Today, I will do what I love to do, maximizing my personal skill level and adding real value to people’s lives. Our daughter graduated from High Point University in 1992 and was a ZETA who formed lifelong friendships with her classmates while earning a degree that has prepared her for success.”

Board of Visitors

C. Tom Carpenter, Jr., and wife, Linda, reside in the greater Atlanta, Georgia, area. They have two children, Callie and Stuart, along with three grandchildren, Addie, Ani and Hendrix. Carpenter graduated from High Point University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Science in Biology. He enlisted in the Air Force after graduation until 1975. He is the owner of Cardinal of Georgia Inc. that builds and develops commercial properties in the greater Atlanta area.

“As an HPU alumnus, I believe it is important to give back to my alma mater through service and advocacy,” says Carpenter. “My mission, as a new member, is to promote High Point University in my area and make the greater Atlanta area more represented on the HPU campus.”

Board of Visitors

Joey Hill was raised in High Point, North Carolina. He started working for Quality Packaging Corporation (QPC) in 1993. He has since become vice president and owner and a member of the Board of Directors. In 1996, he and his brothers formed DTJ Properties to make real estate investments. In 2018, Hill formed Summit Paper Tube (SPT) with his QPC partners, along with others.

“I decided to join the Board of Visitors at HPU because we share a common philosophy,” says Hill. “In business, we want to go above and beyond what is expected of us. We want to not only impact our organizations and clients, but also the community that surrounds us. I am excited to be part of the growth of HPU and look forward to being an advocate.”

Board of Visitors

Felix Franklin “Phil” Miller, III was born and raised in High Point, North Carolina. He attended High Point Central High School, and then went on to earn his Bachelor of Arts in economics from Duke University. After graduation, he worked as a management associate citizen with Southern National Bank in Atlanta, Georgia. He then moved back to High Point as principal and president for Miller Office Furniture. He currently serves as the vice president of sales and marketing for Thayer Coggin Inc. in High Point. Miller is a lifelong member of First Presbyterian Church, where he served as deacon, elder and finance chair.

“I have great admiration for High Point University’s unabashed emphasis on God, country and the American flag, which I believe are the cornerstones of HPU’s tremendous success as an academic institution, as well as HPU’s profound and positive influence on the city of High Point,” says Miller. “I look forward to joining the Board of Visitors at HPU and am honored and excited to be an advocate for its highly respected mission.”