HPU Student Raises Money and Awareness for Cystic Fibrosis

High Point University’s Brooke Guthrie, a senior exercise science major, hiked 22 miles to raise money and awareness for cystic fibrosis on Oct. 5. 

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 14, 2019 – A High Point University student hiked 22 miles in 11 hours and helped raise money for cystic fibrosis awareness on Oct. 5 during the Xtreme Hike event hosted by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

students

HPU’s Brooke Guthrie, who was born with cystic fibrosis, created a team, LifeofRoses, for the Xtreme Hike event. Pictured from left to right are Michael Dutcher, a member of HPU’s Class of 2019; Dr. Justin Waxman, assistant professor of exercise science; Gabby Faraci, an HPU student; Guthrie; Meghan Crowfoot, an HPU student; and Kacey Wheeler, an HPU student.

Brooke Guthrie, a senior exercise science major from Clayton, North Carolina, was born with cystic fibrosis, a hereditary disease that affects the lungs and digestive system.

Her team, LifeofRoses, is made up of HPU faculty and students. They have already raised more than $4,000 surpassing their $3,000 goal. The fundraising continues through the end of the year. Click here to see the team’s progress and learn how to donate.

Guthrie met her teammates during a Maymester trip earlier this year, where they climbed the mountains of Nepal to study their physiological responses to high altitude exposure.

“Spreading cystic fibrosis awareness has always been a huge part of my life in my own fight against CF, and it was amazing to see my friends and family gather for this event,” said Guthrie. “I have taken up hiking as a hobby, even studying abroad in Nepal to trek through the Himalayan mountains. During the Xtreme Hike event, my two worlds collided for the purpose of raising money for an eventual cure to CF. I know I will never have to hike or fight CF alone.”

Guthrie has made it a life goal to prove that the disease will not dictate what she can and cannot achieve in her life.

“Brooke’s high level of physical fitness, upbeat personality and positive outlook on life, left a lasting impression on me and her classmates,” said Dr. Justin Waxman, assistant professor of exercise science. “So much so that Brooke didn’t have to twist many of our arms to join her fundraiser and 22-mile hike for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. It was incredibly inspiring to see Brooke and the rest of our LifeofRoses team get behind a cause like this in such a dedicated way.”