High Point University’s Homecoming Weekend will feature a special Alumni Awards Ceremony honoring and recognizing select alumni who have made an impact. The ceremony will be held on Oct. 25. Following the ceremony, a reception will take place for all alumni in Congdon Hall.
HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 24, 2019 – Hundreds of High Point University alumni will return to campus for Homecoming Weekend 2019 on Oct. 25-27. As part of the festivities, HPU will present awards to 14 outstanding alumni during its Alumni Awards Ceremony at 5:30 p.m. on Oct. 25 in Callicutt Auditorium in Congdon Hall.
Homecoming Weekend is one of several events held throughout the year that attracts visitors and results in a major economic boost for the city of High Point. The High Point Convention and Visitors Bureau estimates the economic impact of this year’s event will be more than a quarter of a million dollars.
The annual Alumni Awards Ceremony is one of the highlights of the weekend. Hosted by the Alumni Association, the banquet will honor HPU alumni who have made outstanding accomplishments and demonstrated a commitment to their communities and the university, including the following individuals:
David Francis, Class of 1955– Lifetime Achievement Award – Francis worked at Marsh & Associates in Charlotte, North Carolina, for 35 years and later served as CEO before his retirement. He remains in Charlotte and is a lifetime member of the HPU Board of Trustees. Francis has generously supported HPU by sponsoring the Francis Auditorium in Phillips Hall.
Rick Callicutt II, Class of 1980 – Alumnus of the Year –Callicutt is chairman of the Carolinas and Virginia for Pinnacle Bank. He currently resides in High Point. A long-time supporter of HPU, Callicutt currently serves as a member of the HPU Board of Trustees. He also has generously given to HPU by establishing an endowed scholarship in honor of his mother (Barbara Frisbee Callicutt Endowed Scholarship) and sponsoring the Callicutt Auditorium in Condgon Hall.
Jacina Hayes, Class of 1994– Alumni Service Award – Hayes is the primary advisor to the general counsel on legal operation for the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. She currently lives in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, and has served for the past six years on the Alumni Board of Directors. Hayes moved to Washington, D.C., to pursue a government career after graduation, received five appointment promotions in nine years serving under four House clerks and a 6-month assignment within the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer.
Katrina Ramey, Class of 2008 – President’s Award – Ramey is the vice president and assistant corporate secretary for Truist Financial Corporation, the merger of SunTrust and BB&T in Charlotte, North Carolina. She currently resides in East Bend, North Carolina. Ramey attended HPU as an evening degree student and graduated in 2008. She has worked with BB&T for the past 18 years with multiple promotions.
Ten distinguished alumni who have graduated within the past 10 years will also be honored with HPU’s Top 10 under 10 Young Alumni Award. They are as follows:
- Thomas M. Belk III, Class of 2013 – Owner of TB III’s Pickup Service LLC in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Leah M. Caffey, Class of 2016 and graduate of 2017 – Assistant general manager at Caffey Distributing in North Carolina.
- Daniel Costello Jr., Class of 2009 – District sales manager for Forrester in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Rebecca M. Irvine, Class of 2013 – Special education teacher at Baker-Butler Elementary in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Molly E. Mays, Class of 2014 – Director of textiles for Rizzy Home in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- James T. Mestdagh Jr., Class of 2018 – Author and founder of the JT Mestdagh Foundation in Michigan.
- Michael J. Pfeiffer, Class of 2012 – Perfusionist at a medical center and working on his master’s degree in healthcare management.
- Jaime M. Schultz – Professional athlete for the Triple-A Oklahoma City Dodgers, the affiliate team for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Alexandra C. Trenary, Class of 2014 – Founder of June St. George, a custom rug company in North Carolina.
- Christiana B. Weber, Class of 2013 – Staff physical therapist in an in-patient rehabilitation center at Michigan Medicine in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
“We are very excited to honor each of these phenomenal High Point University alumni for their outstanding achievements, demonstrated leadership within their career fields, community involvement and generous support and service to their alma mater,” says Bradley Taylor, director of alumni engagement at HPU. “They are wonderful representatives of our amazing alumni family here at High Point University and should be celebrated.”
For a full schedule and more details, HPU alumni may visit www.highpoint.edu/homecoming.