Internship Profile: Lexi Vitale Provides Performance Programming at Novant Health

Internship Profile

Name: Lexi Vitale

Hometown: Auburn, New York

Major: Exercise science 

Internship: Vitale spent the summer with Novant Health Powered by EXOS as a performance specialist. In this position, she shadowed, observed and participated in the performance programming and services offered to the athlete clientele, ranging from youth to adult, collegiate, elite and professional. Vitale worked alongside coaches to utilize unique health and performance training systems that address mindset, nutrition, movement and recovery.

How HPU helped you get there: “I was very comfortable interviewing for this position because of High Point University. The growth I have had as a student afforded me the knowledge to answer key questions regarding how best to help with specific athlete injuries. The social growth and confidence I’ve gained helped me take chances and gain a position like this internship.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My advisor, Dr. Kimberly Reich, was invaluable during this process. There is an incredible amount of paperwork and screening involved in an internship in the medical field. Dr. Reich was encouraging and very helpful. She stayed in touch all summer, and I will never forget how much her support meant to me.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship was helpful in many ways because I was exposed to different opportunities in the field of exercise science. At my facility, there were physical therapists, athletic trainers, nutritionists, clients and Novant Health employees from other locations who were willing to talk to me about their careers. It was a great way for me to see so many possibilities and figure out what I want to pursue in the future.”