Internship Profile: Megan Pusser Edits for Our State Magazine

Name: Megan Pusser

Hometown: Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Major: English literature and English writing

Internship: Pusser recently landed a position as the editorial intern for Our State Magazine, where she is working with the editorial staff to produce and revise content for print and digital editions of the magazine. Her role requires researching unique aspects of North Carolina, creating content, conducting phone interviews, proofing and attending notebook meetings for the production of the latest issue.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me prepare for graduate school and my intended career by providing me with resources for personal and professional growth. The faculty at HPU have encouraged me to make the pursuit of new knowledge a lasting goal in my life, while also pushing me to step out of my comfort zone and establish valuable connections beyond those I have already made. I have used the Office of Career and Professional Development to prepare for my future career. I’ve met with my career advisor, Kellie McLeod, numerous times to discuss different opportunities available in the publishing industry, and she has been a phenomenal mentor during this process. Thanks to her suggestion and help, I made vital connections that helped me secure an internship at Our State Magazine.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The English Department as a whole has had a major impact on my personal and professional development at HPU. I could not have found the level of satisfaction and confidence I have without their constant encouragement.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has provided me with an in-depth look at the publishing industry that I would not have gotten otherwise. I have completed extensive coursework about the publishing industry, but I did not fully understand what the environment was like until I was placed in it. I am very grateful for this opportunity because it is helping me develop vital skills and secure several bylines that I can use in future job applications.”