Internship Profile: Niki Maragos Operates at Octagon Sports

Name: Niki Maragos 

Hometown: Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Major: Communications with a focus in electronic media production

Internship: Maragos worked with Octagon Sports & Entertainment Agency as the content intern in Stamford, Connecticut. She spent the summer working on projects for clients such as Intel, Anheuser Busch, Merrill Lynch, Delta and more. Maragos’ tasks included video editing, sourcing assets and creating graphics such as lower thirds and title cards.

How HPU helped you get there: “Through the amazing teachers in the Nido R. Qubein School of Communications and the assistance of the Office of Career and Professional Development in Cottrell Hall, I developed the best resume for my needs and polished my speaking skills. I am also a proud Media Fellow with many opportunities at my fingertips thanks to this program.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “Joe Michaels, HPU’s Broadcaster in Residence, teaches classes in the School of Communication and has been a big mentor to me since I first met him at my orientation in 2016. We have traveled to New York City together for the National Broadcast Society’s annual convention and he is always the first person I go to for advice about future endeavors. He has helped me take my production skills to the next level and give me pointers for real-world application. He helped me nail an interview and connected me with people in this industry. I’m very thankful for his work here at HPU.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship with Octagon was everything I could have hoped and more. It prepared me for the real world and inspired me for my future thanks to the incredible work environment and passion in the office. I learned new skills every day, including pre-to-post production skills, camera work and communication techniques with very important clients like Mastercard, AB InBev, Delta Airlines, Merril Lynch, JBL and more.”