Internship Profile: Raegan Thomas Assists Expecting Families

Name: Raegan Thomas

Hometown: Albemarle, North Carolina

Major: English with minors in religion and creative writing

Internship: Thomas interned at the Pregnancy Resource Center, which allows moms and dads who are expecting to receive aid through education and resources. She managed various administrative tasks, including organizing the center’s boutique where free baby clothing is available, organizing and creating documents for parent classes, buying and restocking supplies, and assisting in running and organizing a large fundraiser, the Baby Bottle Boomerang Fundraiser.

How HPU helped you get there: “While taking an ‘Intro to Public and Professional Writing’ course with Dr. Erin Trauth, I completed a project that required me to interview someone from a field I desire to work in. This project in Dr. Trauth’s class solidified what I want to do, connected me with the Pregnancy Resource Center and helped me solidify plans for after I graduate. My junior year, I took my resume to the Office of Career and Professional Development to receive feedback. I knew how to write a resume, but the Office of Career and Professional Development helped me to outline my skilles more clearly. An English senior portfolio seminar, held for the English department by the Office of Career and Professional Development, also served as encouragement and further showed all that I could do with my major.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “Dr. Matthew Carlson, my academic advisor, has helped me thrive at HPU and pushed me to submit a paper to Simga Tau Delta, an international English honor society, to be published. As a result, myself and a few of my peers, presented in St. Louis, Missouri at a convention. He’s helped me grow as a writer, communicator and individual. He is the definition of a caring professor.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “It has reminded me there are people in need everywhere. Whether it’s physical or financial needs, people sometimes need someone to talk to and help them. It was good to be around like-minded people during my internship and experience fellowship with others. It showed me that I have the skills and connections I need and I’m ready to pursue my career after graduation.”