HPU Awards Peterson Scholarship to Senior Interior Design Major

HIGH POINT, N.C., Dec. 19, 2019 – High Point University student Ashley Odom, a senior interior design major from Atlanta, has been awarded with the Bill and Bonnie Peterson Endowed Scholarship for the second year in a row.

The scholarship is awarded to students in the HPU School of Art and Design who are studying visual merchandising or interior design and plan to pursue careers in the home furnishings industry.

Established in 2001, the scholarship is named for Wilbert “Bill” Peterson, co-founder of Furniture Today, and his wife, Bonnie. Peterson was highly regarded for his integrity, understanding of the home furnishings industry and contributions through journalism. During his career, he received many industry honors, including the Pillar of the Industry Award, the Distinguished Home Furnishings Journalism Award, and was inducted into the Furniture Writers Hall of Fame.

Odom, a native of Dunwoody, Georgia, is in the honors program and is a student supervisor for the Office of Institutional Advancement’s annual Student Calling Program. She is also a member of the International Interior Design Association (IIDA) and has worked for Bernhardt Furniture at the High Point Furniture Market every spring and fall for three consecutive years.

“I am so grateful to have received this scholarship and for the interior design department in helping me learn the skills that I need to succeed as an interior designer,” says Odom. “I truly feel blessed to have professors that are always willing to help me and challenge me.”