Class of 2020 Outcomes: Tyler Maher Applies Accounting Major at KPMG

With Commencement just around the corner, future High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Tyler Maher

Hometown: Leesburg, Virginia

Major: Accounting with minors in finance and nonprofit leadership and management

Post-graduation plans: Maher joins KPMG International Cooperative as an audit associate in Greensboro, North Carolina. After completing an internship with KPMG, Maher accepted a full-time position where he will assist in carrying out quality audit and other assurance services to clients.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me tremendously in getting to where I am now. By constantly focusing on developing my professionalism, I felt confident in any business scenario. Whether it be going through the interview process or working with clients, my professionalism is what always stands out to people. Also, the accounting curriculum at HPU prepared me to complete the work that was required of me in an accurate and efficient manner. I used the  Office of Career and Professional Development to assist with my resume and cover letter. Throughout my interview process, they were very helpful in reviewing and editing my professional materials. The interview process for my internship included a lunch component and multiple business lunches over the summer. Having the opportunity to eat in a fine dining learning lab like 1924 Prime allowed me to feel confident in my manners. I never had to second guess myself on what I should be doing while eating.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Professor Scott Davis. By challenging me in the classroom, he prepared me to be successful in my internship and now in my career. Between learning in the classroom and giving me career advice, he has helped me succeed and find happiness in my career choice.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment while at HPU was the beginning of my senior year. Going into my senior year knowing I already had a job lined up has by far had the largest impact on my life. I know that looking back on my past three years I would not be in this position if it wasn’t for HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of every opportunity given to you while at HPU. Go out of your comfort zone and try things that make you uncomfortable. Without failure, you can not grow and learn.”