Class of 2020 Outcomes: Kelsey Quinn Begins Her Career at Bloomberg

Kelsey Quinn

With Commencement just around the corner, future High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Kelsey Quinn

Hometown: Howell, New Jersey

Major: Mathematical economics and computer science

Post-graduation plans: Quinn will join Bloomberg as a market data analyst on the fixed income team following graduation. Using her computer science and economic background she will automate systems and more efficiently read data. She will also be analyzing data using Python and SQL.

How HPU helped you get there: “The opportunities that I was given at HPU helped me when looking for jobs and internships. From working on the Woz Project, and participating in two different research projects, to getting involved in campus ministry, I have been shaped so much since my freshman year. I gained real-world skills like project management, communication, how to truly be there for other people, how to work in a team, confidence, sharing what I believe and so much more. All of these hard and soft skills were grown when I put myself through new challenges at High Point University. I used the Office of Career and Professional Development to get the internship I did at Thomas Built Buses the summer after my junior year. This was a part of the Life Skills and Executive Leadership Development Program and truly skyrocketed my experience in the professional world. Following my internship, I went to their office to learn how to organize my job search, what to include in my final resume for certain companies and to get tips on the types of different interviews I would experience.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor in my time at HPU was Professor Roger Shore in the computer science department. The amount of time that I spent time in his office working through problems and growing in knowledge, greatly contributing to the confidence in my abilities and the skills to succeed. He assisted me through challenging classes, brought his students to computer science competitions and believed in me to do work that I did not know I was capable of.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was getting to share my testimony at a campus outreach meeting. Campus Outreach is a Christian ministry on campus that helps students grow to be the leaders God intended them to be. Getting to share my story with friends and strangers alike was something out of my comfort zone, but also something that was impactful to me. I got over my fear of being vulnerable in front of a large group, share something that has greatly shaped how I live my life and let others know that it is okay to struggle. I would not have been able to get my job or thrive in my majors if I hadn’t found my identity. Finding my identity in Christ is what got me to where I am now.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get involved! There are so many opportunities at HPU that you can learn so much from. Getting involved in clubs and organizations that you are passionate about and growing alongside other highly motivated individuals will make all the difference when applying for internships or jobs. Being able to talk about the projects and research I did while attending High Point University greatly differentiated me from other candidates. You want to grow and learn as much as you can while in college. Getting involved is the best way to do this!”