Class of 2020 Outcomes: Victoria Sapraicone Uses Accounting Major as Tax Associate

With Commencement just around the corner, future High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Victoria Sapraicone

Hometown: Glen Head, New York

Major: Accounting

Post-graduation plans: Sapraicone joins Baker Tilly Virchow Krause as a commercial tax associate, where she will be following tax procedures and preparing various tax returns including individual, corporations, s-corporations, trusts and not-for-profits. Sapraicone will be working directly with clients to assist with tax-related questions and preparation for tax returns.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me to get out of my comfort zone and prepare me to feel confident in my career path. HPU gives many opportunities that each student can partake in and find their group of people to share their experiences with. Being in the Phillips School of Business has helped me to look to my future no matter how far away I was from graduating. Each year, as a business student, we were given a three toolbox planning page where we had to distinguish our own skill sets. These included soft skills, hard skills and a plan for my future. This three toolbox planning page has helped me to realize my goals and achieve them as the years progressed. I also had the opportunity to take a skills test where I was given my top five strengths. This test was extremely beneficial, and I was able to utilize this in my interviews with potential employers. I used the Office of Career and Professional Development as a great place to boost my resume and my cover letter. As I first began my job search, I utilized this resource to help me cater my resume to fit the exact position I was applying for. I also drafted up a cover letter and was able to meet with a staff member in Career and Professional Development to help me critique and proofread my cover letter to make sure it was appropriate to send to the potential employer.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Professor Davis in the Accounting Department. He cares about each of his students and strives to make them succeed. I had Professor Davis for three semesters, two of those classes being tax classes which helped to affirm my interest in tax accounting as a career path. Professor Davis is someone you can always go to for advice. He gives very truthful advice and can help you with any situation. I am very grateful I was able to build a relationship with not only Professor Davis but also the rest of the professors in the Accounting Department who helped each of us grow and prepare us for accounting outside of the classroom.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was the atmosphere and comfort in the classroom. Since the first day, my freshman year of college, to the last day of my senior year, I have always felt comfortable in the classrooms and accepting of other classmates. At HPU we are a family and every professor I had was always open for questions and always had an answer. HPU makes you feel very welcome in and out of the classroom. The small size classes are so special because you get to know your classmates on a deeper level as well as your professors.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to underclassmen is to stay involved. Make long-lasting relationships with professors and faculty members as they have so much wisdom and knowledge and are always ready to help. Join as many clubs as you can handle on top of your schoolwork and do not be afraid to try new things. Even if you are a little hesitant in joining a club or deciding to run for a leadership role in that club, you should take a chance on it because that will not only help you get out of your comfort zone but will help you to get more involved and meet new people. The last piece of advice I would give is to continually network. HPU stresses networking a lot and it is important that you utilize all the opportunities that HPU has to offer because HPU is a school that cares about their students and wishes nothing but success to all of their students.”