Class of 2020 Outcomes: Hayley Larsen Coordinates for Sea Colony Recreational Association

With another successful Commencement behind us, future High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Hayley Larsen

Hometown: Ocean City, Maryland

Major: English literature

Post-graduation plans: Larsen will be joining Sea Colony Recreational Association as the marketing coordinator. She is responsible for assisting with the development and execution of marketing programs, coordinating communications to Sea Colony owners, guests and employees, as well as to local residents, businesses and community leaders. In her role, Larsen will design ads, newsletters, brochures, videos and other media to promote Sea Colony activities and events and oversee the daily social media interactions and the creation and management of SCRA-related meetings and special events.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has helped me prepare for the workforce and life by enriching me as a student with the tactical skills and growth mindset to be successful. The skills, programs and technologies that I have learned in the classroom have already been tremendously helpful at my job. Most of all, HPU helped me develop as a well-rounded person with life skills. The leadership skills and confidence that I have gained from High Point University not only helped me land my job but have contributed to my successes so far. The drive I developed at HPU helped me graduate a semester early and as a result, I had the advantage of a jumpstart on my career. I am truly grateful for all that HPU has given me.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Dr. Matthew Carlson. I had two classes with Dr. Carlson over the course of my time at High Point University. He was instrumental in my success both at HPU and after graduating. I had a blast under his tutelage, from exploring the theme of duality in the classroom, to quite literally exploring the Scottish Highlands on our Maymester trip. He was a great resource during my job search, helping me fine-tune my resume, cover letter, etc., and he took the time to help me even though he was not my academic advisor. I am a better student and a better person from knowing Dr. Carlson, and I am forever grateful for his help and mentorship.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was my literature Maymester in Scotland. Studying a subject in a classroom setting is one thing, but being immersed in the environment and culture that you’ve been learning about is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I highly recommend that students take advantage of opportunities to study abroad. It’s an excellent way to immerse yourself in the subject you love and a great way to expand your world view.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Success after graduation is all about your mindset. It’s easy to get frustrated and overwhelmed as a post-grad. Know that you have achieved something great by simply graduating from a school like High Point University. It’s important to remember that your timeline is yours alone. Try not to compare your career journey to others. You’ll get to where you want or need to be eventually. You are extraordinary!”