Class of 2020 Outcomes: Jessica Koppy Finds a Future in Fitness

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Jessica Koppy

Hometown: Glastonbury, Connecticut

Major: Exercise science focusing on health and wellness and a minor in psychology

Post-graduation plans: Koppy joins The Exercise Coach as a fitness specialist where she will be doing strength and conditioning training with individuals and group classes. Koppy will be working with technology exclusive to The Exercise Coach to enable clients to grow into their best (and healthiest!) selves.

How HPU helped you get there: “My professors and the staff at HPU helped me find my passion within my major. During my time here I had such a strong support system that pushed me to be the best I could be. The faculty at HPU want students to succeed in whatever path they choose to follow after graduation. Having the opportunity to have one-on-one relationships with all of my professors was so impactful because all of them were able to talk to me about my progress in class and help me with specific problems I had. All of these things combined helped me to find my passion in exercise science and encouraged me to never give up on achieving my future goals. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me with my resume and job search. Even now, during online classes I have been in contact with them regularly. This resource is something I think every student should take advantage of. Having your resume reviewed or having a short conversation about an internship or job made a huge difference in how I approached my post-grad plans.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentors at HPU were Dr. Reich and Dr. Lipowski. I had Dr. Reich for my epidemiology and health behavior change classes and this is really where my love started for the health and wellness field. Her classes made me think critically about the world around me and what I can do to help people in my own community. She also helped me find and secure my internship, which proved to be very helpful in finding a job. Dr. Lipowski, who taught my lifespan development class, also served as a mentor. I was lucky enough to do research with her, and she set aside time to talk to me about graduate school and post-grad options. Both of these professors have been so impactful during my time at HPU. They both made time for me and many other students because they truly care about my success. I am so grateful for that and am lucky to say that I was able to learn from them during my time at HPU. I couldn’t thank them enough for all they have done for me!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was telling Dr. Reich and my advisor when I got my internship for this past spring semester. I remember getting the phone call and feeling like all of my plans for the future were really starting to fall into place.”

Advice for underclassmen: “While you are at HPU, take advantage of all of their resources. I cannot stress enough how important it is to talk to your advisor, your professors and go to the Office of Career and Professional Development. They will all put you on the right path to get to where you want to be – communication is key! After graduation, be persistent and be confident. HPU provides you all of the skills you need to be successful so, trust yourself and put yourself out there!”