Class of 2020 Outcomes: Monet Gilmore Takes on Tulane University

With another successful Commencement behind us, future High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Monet Gilmore

Hometown: Mitchellville, Maryland

Major: Exercise science with a health and wellness concentration and minors in psychology and African-American studies

Post-graduation plans: Gilmore will be attending Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana, to pursue a Master’s of Public Health degree.  

How HPU helped you get there: “My advisor, Dr. Tony Kemerly did an amazing job pushing me to not just take classes for my major but made sure I took classes that interested me and fed my passions. He always extended his ear to hear and encouraged me that I was going to be successful and even foreshadowed me teaching long before I considered it as a career option for myself. I am extremely grateful for his classes, which encouraged me to think critically and conceptually and gave me the foundation to not only convey my thoughts through my writing but through my speech. Additionally, working with Dr. Kimberly Reich doing undergraduate research was a rewarding experience. Having research experience in the field of public health before graduating has given me the confidence I need to know that I can succeed in my master’s program. Both of these individuals have helped me get to where I am and where I am going. Dr. Doug Hall in the Office of Career and Professional Development also took the time to methodically help me plan out my goals for my time at High Point University and my career afterward. He also made sure I gained professional experience during my undergraduate career to best prepare me for graduate school and my full-time post-graduate job. I expressed how I have always been passionate about health and wellness, specifically health education. With the tools Dr. Hall gave me, I was able to successfully secure a job before graduation. I have been offered three positions to teach health full time in the Prince George’s County School system and have accepted a position at Gwynn Park Middle School teaching as the health teacher for grades six through eight. Not being an education major, I was nervous about my application not being considered, however, due to my past job at Mental Health Greensboro as the program developer for their “Teens Gotta Talk” after-school program, Dr. Hall ensured me that my hands-on curriculum development and teaching experience make me a great candidate and the employers I interviewed with were more than impressed with my credentials.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU would be Dr. Doug Hall. He can attest to the many mini-meltdowns I had in his office out of anxiety and panic because I did not know where my life was going to go. Despite my pessimism, he always spoke to me about life, encouraged me that my purpose mattered, that I have put in the work and that it was up to me to have faith. He has always been willing to write me a letter of recommendation for graduate school, jobs, internships, scholarships, or whatever I have needed and he has always made himself available. I know the tools I have learned not just for my resume but how to carry myself in the business world are things I will carry with me throughout my career.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU would be working with the Provost, Dr. Dennis Carroll to implement the African-American studies minor. Since I was a freshman I knew that it was something I wanted to study during my time at High Point University. Dr. Carroll’s willingness to listen and push to implement it is something I am grateful for. To be the first student graduating with the minor in African-American studies is exciting not just for me but to leave my legacy for students who will come after me.”

Advice for underclassmen: “HPU gives you the opportunity to thrive if you accept it. These four years are what YOU want them to be. Taking an extra hour to study or time to go to a workshop put on by the Office of Career and Professional Development might not seem that beneficial to you as an underclassman, but you blink your eyes and it’s your last semester of college. Don’t waste time on trivial matters, you’ll miss out on the opportunities presented to you that can have a permanent impact on your future. Everyone on campus is there to help ensure that you succeed if you ask for help, and if you don’t know what you need, that’s okay too. Individuals are there to help you figure it out, so don’t feel like you have to do it on your own. There were many times I scheduled a meeting with Dr. Hall simply because I did not know where my life was going to go, and that’s okay. Talk through your ideas, your concerns, your worries and your anxieties because that’s what they are there for. Trust me, you will be okay.”