Class of 2020 Outcomes: Charis Dinger Joins the Local High Point Community

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Charis Dinger

Hometown: Manheim, Pennsylvania 

Major: Exercise science with minors in psychology and mathematics

Post-graduation plans: Dinger joins the local High Point community at DeBeen Espresso as their operations and marketing manager. The owner of DeBeen, Debbie Maier, is also an HPU student-athlete alumni who brought Dinger on staff to assist with training baristas, marketing specials and promotions and the upkeep of the DeBeen Espresso online store. Creating community connections and outreach opportunities is also an important part of her position.

How HPU helped you get there: “As a student at HPU, I was encouraged to explore the community and become familiar with the favorite local places in the city. This is how I became aware of DeBeen Espresso during my first year of school, and became a part-time employee my junior year. Both my coaches and professors were supportive in helping me find the balance between working, being a student and competing athletically. Additionally, my professors and mentors always encouraged me to pursue opportunities I was passionate about, even if they were outside of my major. That’s what ultimately led me to pursue a job in marketing and operations. During my senior year, Emily Long in the Office of Career and Professional Development was extremely helpful in assisting me with crafting my resume and utilizing employment search tactics. She also encouraged me in my accomplishments, and instilled a confidence in me to chase after a position that I was passionate about.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “As a tutor and student instructor, I worked for Dr. Waxman for a large part of my collegiate experience. He provided me multiple opportunities to explore different career paths and helped me develop unique skill sets that set me apart in my field.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Being a part of the cross country and track and field teams at HPU was the most impactful experience I had in college. It truly felt like a second family. I’m so grateful for all the friendships made and team experiences I was blessed to take part in.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Be open to ALL possibilities. Do not limit your passions or pursuits to outside expectations. Have confidence in your abilities, knowing that your unique design has such a purpose in this world.”