Class of 2020 Outcomes: Haley Bossart Builds Her Own Business

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Haley Bossart

Hometown: Naples, Florida

Major: Luxury Fashion Entrepreneurship

Post-graduation plans: Bossart created On Point Magazine as a freshman to showcase the raw, unfiltered inspiration that college students possess. She envisioned college students inspiring other college students through the tools of fashion, travel, entertainment, health and wellness, and community. Her team at HPU has grown to 35 students, all curating a magazine filled with influential stories and visuals. On Point grew with Bossart while she was a student, and upon graduating she wanted to take it to the next level. Bossart began mentoring HPU students through her On Point Mentorship Program. She turned her passion for entrepreneurship into assisting college students in living their best lives while finding harmony in balancing social life and academics. 

How HPU helped you get there: “It is difficult to come up with just one, the many mentors I could name were unbelievably helpful in the process of surviving college as a student and business owner. What stands out though, is the intention behind HPU. The fountains, the mirrors, everything has a purpose and so does every staff and faculty member. Purpose is the backbone of this university, of which I am eternally grateful. Dr. Doug Hall and Lindsay Scott in the Office of Career and Professional Development quickly became not only helpful in finding my career path, but they also joined the advisory board for On Point Magazine. Dr. Hall is one of a kind. He sees not only potential, but the true special factor in each student he assists. Lindsay, I now consider a friend. We have teamed up on phone calls to find the best solutions and ideas for mentoring college students. Both Doug and Lindsay were extremely influential to me and have been extraordinarily helpful. ”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The entrepreneurship department at HPU has two individuals that changed my life — Kathy Elliott and Troy Knauss, both of whom I see as family. Kathy has a background in growing businesses and more, and has been my cheerleader and confidant. She pushed me to get creative, see the beauty in serendipitous moments, and go forward with ideas I may fear. Troy was the backboard of my decision making. With a background as an investor, he understands the feasibility of launching a business, no matter the industry. Troy soon became someone I went to for everything. He inspired me to get out of my comfort zone and truly connect with my talents. To say thank you is simply not enough. Troy and Kathy were my mentors at school but became true pieces of the woman I am today.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Again, so many to think about. If I had to choose, an impactful moment for me was participating in the Elevator Pitch Competition in the Fall of 2019. I won the People’s Choice award, something that meant the world to me. My purpose at HPU was to instill confidence and authentic influence in my peers. The fact that On Point was the audience’s choice, let I know I was doing something right. I encourage all entrepreneurship students to participate in this competition!”

Advice for underclassmen: “While developing my mentorship program, I built all sessions with the ‘Haley Method’ in mind. Acronyms are always fun, so my advice: Gain authentic influence, in chaos find comfort, mindful minutes, timing is everything and business, not busyness.”