Class of 2020 Outcomes: Hannah Hicks Pursues Psychology Ph.D.

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Hannah Hicks

Hometown: Thomasville, North Carolina

Major: Psychology with a minor in dance

Post-graduation plans: Hicks will be attending Kansas City University of Medicine and Bioscience in Kansas City, Missouri, to pursue a Doctorate of Psychology 

How HPU helped you get there: “The professors in the psychology department at High Point University helped me achieve my goals. I never had a question go unanswered about my future because the department is so involved with student success. I felt fully prepared when I started applying to graduate schools. I was given helpful information about the application process and the interview process as well. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me tremendously throughout the interview process for graduate school.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Ross, a professor in the psychology department, impacted me tremendously while at High Point University. I worked in her research lab and we took many trips together to present our findings. I truly would not be where I am today without her guidance. Any question I ever had, I turned to her and she answered. She helped me throughout the application and interview process for graduate school. Her teaching style is phenomenal and I made it a point to be in at least one of her classes each semester. I aspire to help others as she has helped me and so many more!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “In Dr. Ross’ research lab, I was able to present suicide prevention gatekeeper trainings to a tremendous amount of individuals on campus. Each time I would present, it was impactful because I was helping to spread awareness of a cause I am passionate about and that I will continue to research in my future career.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice for underclassmen is to use the resources provided on campus. All staff and faculty are willing to help and it is so important that we do our jobs as students to ask questions and reach out to get the help that we need. Take the initiative, ask questions, and reach your goals!”