Class of 2020 Outcomes: Laura Trueworthy Pursues Master’s in Educational Psychology

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Laura Trueworthy

Hometown: Hamilton, New York

Major: Psychology with a minor in special education

Post-graduation plans: Trueworthy will be attending the University of Virginia to pursue a Master’s in Educational Psychology-Applied Developmental Science.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me get to where I am now by challenging me academically and creating an environment where I was able to create meaningful relationships with peers and faculty. Through my classes, opportunities to work within the High Point community, and support and guidance from my professors, I was able to create more focused goals for after graduation. HPU gave me the experience and research opportunities I needed in order to be a competitive applicant for graduate school. I was able to get into my No. 1 choice master’s program, and I feel that the courses I took at HPU have increased my confidence and prepared me for the graduate courses I am now taking. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me to update my resume, which I had not changed since freshman year. It can be very overwhelming to try and figure out what to put on your resume and how to fit all of the information on it, but the Office of Career and Professional Development helped me to create a resume that showcased all of the most relevant information as I was applying to graduate school.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “HPU has so many wonderful faculty members that helped me throughout my time at HPU, and I can’t pick just one! Dr. Sarah Ross was my Intro to Psychology professor during my sophomore year, and she made me realize how much I loved psychology. She was so helpful when I decided to change my major to psychology and continued to be a huge support system for me throughout my four years at HPU. She was always willing to help with questions about classes, future career goals and my graduate application process. She not only read over my statements of purpose for many different schools, but also helped me to find programs that fit my interests. Dr. Ross was an amazing mentor to have at HPU, and I could not have gotten through undergrad or gotten into graduate school without her! I am also very thankful to have had the opportunity to work with Dr. Stacey Lipowski. She welcomed me into her group of research assistants and was so supportive of our collective goal of conducting research about metacognition in children with autism. She helped us create our research question and organize our IRB proposal. This was a great learning experience that will be so valuable as I continue on with my education and focus more on research.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “For me, the most impactful moments at HPU were all of the little things like sitting with friends in Slane and walking down the Promenade to class. All of the little moments that make HPU so special and the time spent with friends will always make HPU feel like home.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice for underclassmen would be to take advantage of all of the opportunities that HPU has to offer. Connect with your professors and don’t be afraid to ask them for help, whether its a question about classwork or you need help figuring out what you want to do after graduation, they are such a great resource! Also, take advantage of any opportunities to be a research assistant, participate in any of the various business competitions or present at High-PURCS. All of these things will teach you great skills that you will be able to use throughout your life. Finally, don’t forget to stop and take it all in every once in a while. Your time at HPU is going to fly by, don’t forget to enjoy it!”