Class of 2020 Outcomes: Patrick Horn Markets for Martin Marietta

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Patrick Horn

Hometown: Raleigh, North Carolina

Major: Marketing with a minor in sales and sport management

Post-graduation plans: Horn joins Martin Marietta, the world’s leading construction materials company, as an inside sales representative where he will build and maintain relationships with clients, collaborate with other sales reps and drive company sales. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has provided me the opportunity to grow my confidence and knowledge through classes that teach life skills. I know these skills will be applicable in the next chapter of my life. Dr. Doug Hall in the Office of Career and Professional Development efficiently and effectively helped me find a career path suitable to my major and minor, while also helping me develop my personal brand.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU has been Dr. Hemme. Being my professor for three years, Dr. Hemme went above and beyond to help me succeed. In his classroom, he utilized real-world problems and examples to help prepare me for situations that I will encounter in the real world. Teaching me how to work cohesively as a group and making sure that everyone’s voice in his class was heard. In his classes, I always felt that my opinion and input mattered. Outside of the classroom, Dr. Hemme gave freely of his time and connections to help me grow my potential. I spent countless hours in his office discussing future plans and asking for both career and life advice. It did not stop with just advice as he was willing to reach out to his contacts to help my professional growth. My confidence as a young professional would not be where it is today without his help.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “As a member of the class of 2020, it was extremely difficult to come to terms with how the remainder of our final semester went due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, as I look back at how HPU handled the situation, I am truly thankful to be a part of the HPU community. At every turn throughout this process, HPU went above and beyond to find alternative ways to celebrate our achievement. While the circumstances were not ideal, the steps HPU took to ensure we felt celebrated as a class showed me what it truly means to roll with the punches. Therefore, I would say graduation was the most influential part of my HPU experience, as I felt the love and support from my now alma mater and witnessed first-hand how to effectively respond to adversity.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of the opportunities that you have on campus. This will help you grow not only academically but also professionally through HPU’s unique approach to teaching students life skills.”