Class of 2020 Outcomes: Zachary Fleming Finds a Future in the U.S. Armed Forces

With another successful Commencement behind us, future High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Zachary Fleming

Hometown: Cleveland, North Carolina

Major: Sales

Post-graduation plans: Fleming has joined the United States Armed Forces as a field artillery officer for the Army and is responsible for leading and directing fire support assets into combined arms operations. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has prepared me for the Army by helping me develop my time management, communication and analytical skills. Thanks to the amazing faculty and staff, and healthy educational environment, I was able to commission into the Army as a field artillery officer. I relied heavily on the Office of Career and Professional Development for assisting me in building an effective and reputable resume and cover letter. The assistance they gave me has helped me grow as a professional.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Professor Randy Moser. Professor Moser has helped me grow both academically and as an individual. Thanks to his continued mentorship, I am able to continue to grow professionally.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when I was able to lead the color guard for the 2019 commencement. When I was asked to do this, I felt a huge sense of pride and was honored to be a part of a time-honored HPU tradition.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to underclassmen is to be determined and flexible. One piece of advice that was given to me as a cadet, that I still hold true today is, ‘tough times don’t last, tough people do.’ College can get stressful at times, but remaining determined and flexible will ensure that you are successful in any of your endeavors.”