Class of 2020 Outcomes: Kacey Ruben Utilizes Communication Major for Prince William County Public Schools

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Kacey Ruben

Hometown: Dumfries, Virginia

Major: Media Production and Entrepreneurship

Post-graduation plans: Ruben joins Prince William County Public Schools as the video communication specialist where she will provide support for Prince William County Public School’s Cable Channel by maintaining the 24/7 broadcast schedule, uploading new channel programming for air and creating graphics with county-wide school updates. She will also produce, write, shoot and edit original video content for social media, web and the broadcast channel, highlighting the accomplishments of the second-largest school division in Virginia, with over 91,000 students. Ruben will be working full time while simultaneously completing the online Master’s in Communication and Business Leadership program at High Point University.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU created an environment where I wanted to become the best version of myself every single day. While the education I received in the classroom was a vital component of my success, I think it was the moments outside of the classroom that helped me develop into the young adult I am today. From taking on leadership roles, to learning the importance of giving back to the community and building quality relationships with the people around me, I can honestly say HPU prepared me not just for my future career, but for life. From reviewing my resumes and cover letters, to helping me prep for phone and virtual interviews, the Office of Career and Professional Development is staffed with friendly and knowledgeable professionals who truly cared about both my personal and professional aspirations. I always felt more confident walking out of their office.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Joe Michaels, Dr. Kristina Bell, and Professor David Radanovich all played such an important role in helping me achieve my goals during my time at HPU. Professor Michaels’ door was always open to help me during my internship and job search and he was always there to share stories and advice from his vast experience in the television industry. Dr. Bell was my director for the Media Fellows program and she created such an inclusive and welcoming community where I felt challenged to think critically and go above and beyond as a creative. Professor Radanovich was my faculty advisor for the Bateman Team where four other communications students and I competed nationally in a public relations campaign competition, and we placed in the Top 3 this past May. This was an accomplishment HPU had never achieved before and Professor Radanovich was such an incredible mentor to us and helped us through the entire process.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment during my time at HPU, was being elected Chapter President of my sorority, Alpha Chi Omega. I learned so much about myself, what it takes to be an effective leader, and how to run an organization where 200 people depended on me and my decision making. It was such an honor to give back to a chapter that had given me so much.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Graduating during a global pandemic really put everything into perspective for me. My advice to anyone whether in their first year of undergrad or a senior debating their next move in life, is to remember that when one door closes an even better one will open. Embrace the unknown and be adaptable when “Plan A” doesn’t work out. If you have put in the work and showed up when others have backed down, then great things will always be ahead for you.”