Class of 2020 Outcomes: Megan Mouton Nourishes Her Interest in Nanoscience

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Megan Mouton

Hometown: Hillsborough, North Carolina

Major: Mathematics and physics with a minor in computer science

Post-graduation plans: Mouton will be attending the University of North Carolina at Greensboro’s Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering to pursue a Doctorate in Nanoscience.  

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU and all the incredible professors I had along the way really shaped my future. Dr. Titus, Dr. Lancaster, and Dr. Fuselier are just a few of the mentors that positively impacted my time here. They were always available when I had questions or needed help, whether that be for homework or for life advice. I would not be where I am today without all of the incredible professors that pushed me to be the best, most extraordinary version of myself. The Office of Career and Professional Development was there for me when I needed help on my resume during the internship search. They helped me present the most professional version of myself.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Lancaster, Dr. Aaron Titus and Dr. Jenny Fuselier, along with an incredible team of professors, helped me become the best version of myself I could be. Dr. Lancaster spent countless office hours helping me with difficult physics concepts. He was also the reason I applied to the graduate school that I will be attending. Dr. Lancaster encouraged me to go outside my comfort zone and further my education in this field through graduate school, a field he knew I would be very successful in. Dr. Aaron Titus is the reason I majored in physics. In my sophomore year, I frequently asked Dr. Titus questions about material in my physics 1 course, and by the end of the conversation, I was a physics major. Dr. Titus led me to find a love for research and computational work. Dr. Jenny Fuselier was my first mentor at HPU and gave continuous support through all four years at HPU. With her incredible encouragement, Dr. Fuselier turned a self-conscious timid freshman Megan into the proud and outspoken woman I am today. HPU is extraordinary in countless ways, but the most extraordinary part of HPU is the mentorship they have. I am so blessed to have been given the opportunity to spend four incredible years with such an inspiring, caring and driven team of professors.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was presenting research at a conference. While presenting, multiple students and physics professionals were  intrigued and wanted to know more. At that moment, I realized I had made it. I too was a scientist.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Always shoot for your dreams, even if you don’t feel ready. The power of positivity and drive to want something has so much more impact than you think it will.”