Internship Profile: Kate McCarthy Interns for IA Financial Advisors

Name: Kate McCarthy

Hometown: Holden, Massachusetts 

Major: Marketing with minors in sales and finance

Internship: McCarthy joined IA Financial Advisors as an intern where she created and implemented marketing campaigns, rebranded the current client materials, brochures and company packages, worked with complex financial software, assisted in the production of a radio show, and completed dozens of applications for annuities, life insurance and other policies.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has a unique environment that pushes its students to achieve success. Through my academic classes, clubs, and organizations I felt supported and prepared to handle all tasks and challenges my internships threw at me. In the second week of my freshman year, I made an appointment with the Office of Career and Professional Development to begin perfecting my professional image. They helped me clean up my resume and expand on my LinkedIn profile so I could be better prepared for when I began applying to internships.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “My success coach Cory Kirby worked with me throughout the year and gave me various resources. Each time I would meet with him we would make a goal to be completed by our next meeting. He always supports me in my goals and aspirations. Even when I told him during our first meeting my lofty career goals, he assured me that I could reach them and would be successful.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship has been nothing short of extraordinary. I have gained experience in so many areas from marketing and client relations to completing hundred-page applications. These are invaluable skills that I will carry forward in my professional career!”