Internship Profile: Nicholas Masalleras Produces Digital Media During COVID-19

Name: Nicholas Masalleras

Hometown: Clemmons, North Carolina

Major: Media production and entrepreneurship with minors in business administration and marketing

Internship: Masalleras joined River Oaks Community Church as a digital media production intern during an unprecedented time. Due to COVID-19, the 1,000+ member congregation at River Oaks Community Church was unable to meet in person. Masalleras was brought on board due to his knowledge of live streaming and production systems to help move the weekly Sunday services to an online format. He created new workflows, assisted in audio, video and lighting design and implementation, produced various video projects, trained volunteers on new workflows, collaborated with team members to innovate and improve service flow, transitions and creative components, and developed new strategies for various social media accounts.

How HPU helped you get there: “The faculty in HPU’s Nido R. Qubein School of Communication have gone above and beyond teaching and helping me. They are super friendly and are willing to meet whenever about anything related to school or professional advice. Being able to produce and direct a TV show with my friends in HPU’s state of the art TV studio/control room as a freshman was amazing. The professors taught me how to produce shows in the studio, and that information helped me land an internship later on in the year. Having access to this now and learning about strong work ethic will help me later in life in landing a full-time job. One of the reasons I was hired for my internship this summer was the strong work ethic I showed during the first few weeks, as well as the experiential opportunities that were available to me on campus. The Office of Career and Professional Development also had great feedback on my resume and spent a lot of time preparing me for interviews.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “Joe Michaels has believed in me time and time again and has gone above and beyond to help me with ideas or share encouragement to keep going.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “It’s been great to get more real-world experience in the production industry. I’ve never thought of exploring ministry-related production jobs so this has been an amazing time to learn about that and compare it to other industries.”