Internship Profile: Tessa Martin Practices Psychology for Pre-Kindergarten Kids

Name: Tessa Martin

Hometown: Westlake Village, California

Major: Psychology with a minor in criminal justice

Internship: Martin is spending the summer interning with the Summer Treatment Program at Florida International University in Miami. She will provide counsel in the pre-kindergarten classroom in conjunction with the Center for Children and Families at FIU. STP is a program for children with ADHD and related behavioral, emotional and learning challenges. It is composed of evidence-based intensive treatments incorporated into an eight-week therapeutic summer camp setting. This program is focused on improving problem-solving, academic functioning and social skills — while also incorporating recreational, age-appropriate games and group activities.

How HPU helped you get there: “The psychology department is filled with such passionate professors who really want us to get hands-on experience in any way possible. Dr. Ross introduced me to the internship by passing around a flier in class. Dr. Lootens, my advisor, encouraged me to apply, despite me being nervous. Both wrote recommendations for me without hesitation, making me feel confident in my abilities. The Office of Career and Professional Development looked over my resume and helped me to clean it up. Walking out of there made me feel confident submitting it, knowing that not only did I think it was good, but so did people trained to look over resumes.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “Dr. Ross in the psychology department has been such a positive role model at HPU. After having her for one class, I immediately saw how much she is not only passionate about her students’ success, but also her area of expertise. When I received an internship for the spring semester, she agreed to be my supervisor and helped me immensely through the application process and throughout the first half of the semester. When classes were moved online and my internship was canceled, she came up with a phenomenal alternative plan that allowed me not only to learn skills I would’ve been learning on-site, but also to gain certifications that I can put on my resume. I am excited to take yet another class with her next semester.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Landing not one, but two internships, has instilled in me this confidence that I am not average, but as HPU says, extraordinary. I have more to offer than the average person and can truly do anything I put my mind to. Having advisors who are honest with me about my abilities, but also highlight my accomplishments makes me feel like I am set up for the future.”