Class of 2020 Outcomes: Kasey Nichols Nurtures the Next Generation

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Kasey Nichols

Hometown: Clemmons, North Carolina

Major: Biology

Post-graduation plans: Nichols joins the City of High Point Government as a recreation activity leader in the Parks and Recreation Department. She leads STEAM After School Exploration activities for school aged children K-6. The program includes activities such as learning about water cycling, practicing math skills and art projects such as dream boards.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has many resources through the school and the High Point community to help students achieve their goals, whether it’s faculty or the community service partners. Peer career advisors in the Office of Career and Professional Development helped me create a professional resume and learn how important first impressions are at interviews.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Nicole Hughes was by far my most impactful mentor at HPU. Not only is she knowledgeable she is incredibly passionate about her students and ensuring they are successful after leaving HPU. While being my research professor she also took time to assist me in looking for jobs and helping me secure my first one post-graduation. This helped me realize my passion for teaching children.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Participating in student research gave me the experience that helped me stand out at my first job, post-graduation. I was able to learn skills I wouldn’t get otherwise, such as field experience and preparing my own statistical data.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice would be to network, try reaching out to professors to see if they know of any possible job openings that fit your skills. During your time at HPU, try to experience things outside of your typical interests because you may discover a new passion.”