Internship Profile: Kate McCarthy Builds Marketing Experience

Name: Kate McCarthy

Hometown: Holden, Massachusetts 

Major: Marketing with minors in sales and finance

Internship: McCarthy joins Pomp in Denver, Colorado, as a marketing intern with a focus in social media marketing where she will create content and four to five weekly postings for Instagram and Facebook. She will assist in recruiting influencers for partnerships leading to increased customer engagement and followers and also track analytics from different social media platforms.

How HPU helped you get there: “The professors at High Point University helped me by supporting me to work toward my goals. HPU fosters an environment that pushes students to achieve more. I have been given resources, built relationships and been exposed to so much that has, and continues to help me, achieve my goals. The Office of Career and Professional Development has been a great resource for helping me build my professional brand such as LinkedIn profile, cover letters and my resume. They are always there to help students meet their professional goals.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Professor Napp, who was my business communications professor. She saw something in me and immediately started working with me inside and outside of the classroom to help me achieve my goals. She exposed me to opportunities, worked with me one-on-one to perfect my resume/cover letter, and always looked to me when she knew of a job or internship. She has been a wonderful mentor and continues to support me.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship has provided me with hands-on experience that has exposed me to many different sectors of the marketing world. I have been able to work with the company’s co-founders and CEO to develop my marketing skills and knowledge. It has helped prepare me for my future by giving me invaluable skills that I can carry to any job or internship.”