visit to HPU
Assistant Professor of the Practice of Entrepreneurship
Director of the Center for Entrepreneurship
Office: Cottrell Hall 223
|The Earl N. Phillips School of Business (PSB) was very fortunate in August of 2014 to hire Kathryn Elliott as Assistant Professor of the Practice of Entrepreneurship and Director of the Center for Entrepreneurship. Ms. Elliott came to HPU with extensive experience working with business development organizations, entrepreneurs, and small businesses. Her widespread and comprehensive network of business contacts is extremely beneficial to the PSB entrepreneurship students. Most recently, Ms. Elliott has worked as Entrepreneur Connection Vice President for the Greensboro Partnership to develop high-growth entrepreneurial businesses. Prior to that, she spent 17 years with the Greensboro Chamber of Commerce rising to the level of Vice President of Entrepreneurship and Small Business.
Kathy Elliott’s community involvement and professional development record is extensive:
• Degrees Matter, Future Talent Council
• PTP NEXT, Advisory Board
• Nussbaum Center for Entrepreneurship Board of Directors
• Judge annually for the UNCG Campus Entrepreneur Business competition
• City of Greensboro Minority/Women Business Enterprise Program Advisory Council
• Guilford Technical Community College Small Business Center, Advisory Council
• EnActUs (formerly Students in Free Enterprise) – Sam Walton Fellow
• NC Entrepreneurship Summit Team
• Welfare Reform Liaison Program Board
• North Carolina Cooperative Extension Advisory Committee
• N.C. Business Resource Alliance Member
• Action Greensboro Entrepreneurism Task Force Center for Creative Leadership - Leadership Development Program
• Graduate of Leadership Greensboro
At HPU, Ms. Elliott teaches Entrepreneurial Creativity and Feasibility; Family Business Management; Business Modeling, Planning, Strategy, and Growth; and Social Entrepreneurship. In the past, she has extensively shared her knowledge by teaching as an adjunct in the University of North Carolina Greensboro Bryan School of Business, at Bennett College, in the Duke University Non-Profit Certificate Program, and in various small business classes at Guilford Technical Community College.
As Director, Ms. Elliott manages the HPU Center for Entrepreneurship and leads its program activities, providing the leadership and vision to develop an inclusive entrepreneurship center while supporting the dynamic teachings offered through High Point University. She cultivates student entrepreneurs and encourages faculty involvement across the university. She also develops and promotes entrepreneurship opportunities, recruits mentors, and performs community outreach. Ms. Elliott and Dr. Chris Pryor serve as advisers to the Entrepreneurs’ Club which includes students from a variety of majors and backgrounds, many of whom have dreams of starting their own business ventures. Past and present service to HPU includes the Curriculum Committee and Service Learning.
Kathy Elliott earned a Master of Entrepreneurship at Western Carolina University with the Beta Gamma Sigma 4.0 GPA distinction. She also earned a B.S. in Human Resources Management from Excelsior College and a BBA in Business Management from Lamar University. She served the United States as a Radioman in the U.S. Navy for five years before entering undergraduate school.