NOTE: The Major in Business Administration with a Concentration in Entrepreneurship has been replaced by the Major in Entrepreneurship for students entering in the fall of 2015 or later.
Entrepreneurs and small business owners are at the heart of the American economy. Small businesses are a major US employer (more than 50 percent of all private sector workers are employed by small businesses), and are responsible for 75 percent of the new jobs in the U.S. economy. Small business activity is also important to the global economy: small businesses, producing 29 percent of all export value, are responsible for creating more than 50 percent of the nonfarm private gross domestic product in the U.S.*
The Entrepreneurship Program at High Point University offers students a unique combination of courses that provides students with an understanding of small business development and management. In addition, students may select from an array of electives through which more specialized business knowledge can be attained.
We invite you to learn more about the Entrepreneurship Program at High Point University.
Requirements for a Major in Business Administration with a Concentration in Entrepreneurship
68 credits, 2014-2015 Catalog Year
- ACC 2010. Financial Accounting (4)
- ACC 2020. Managerial Accounting (4)
- BUA 2990. Business Communications and Professional Development (4)
- ECO 2030. Principles of Macroeconomics (4)
- ECO 2050. Principles of Microeconomics (4)
- FIN 3010. Financial Management (4)
- MGT 2220. Principles of Management and Organizational Behavior (4)
- MGT 3280. Operations and Supply Chain Management (4)
- MGT 4990. Strategic Management (4)
- MKT 2110. Principles of Marketing (4)
- MTH 1310. Calculus for Business and Social Sciences (4) OR MTH 1410 Calculus I (4)
- STS 2610. Quantitative Methods (4)
AND choose one course from the following:
- ECO/GBS 3460. International Economics (4)
- ECO/GBS 4430. Comparative Economics (4)
- MKT 3750. International Marketing (4)
- ENT 3300. Entrepreneurial Creativity and Feasibility (4)
- ENT 3400. Entrepreneurial Finance (4)
- ENT 4000. Business Modeling, Strategy, Planning and Growth (4)
AND one course from:
- ENT 4210. Family Business Management (4)
- ENT 4220. Social Entrepreneurship (4)
- ENT 4230. Venture Funding/Financing (4)
1. At least 50 percent of traditional business credit hours in this major must be completed at High Point University. Traditional business subjects include courses with the following prefixes: ACC, BUA, ECO, ENT, FIN, MGT, and MKT.
2. Students are encouraged also to consider internships, undergraduate research, or independent study in business, beyond the standard requirements.