Behind the music – DJ Nico1

By Joseph Wetzler, Staff Writer

October 3, 2012

“I relate DJing and House music to everything possible.”

These were words spoken by Nico Higgins, or better known as DJ Nico1, a junior at High Point University.

When he isn’t at class, or just hanging out, Higgins is searching for songs to mix. When he finds the right ones, he promptly blasts the music through his massive speakers set up in his kitchen.

“I spend at least a half hour everyday looking for music, a half hour working on the music and usually about three hours practicing each week,” said Higgins.

DJ Nico1 began listening to House/Techno music in high school. It wasn’t until his freshman year or college that he really got into DJing. House music has become increasingly popular over that past couple of years and has inspired people like Higgins. He became so inspired that his grandmother ended up buying his first set of turntables before leaving for his freshman year of college.

This past summer, Higgins DJed a number of events, including high school dances, parties and one wedding. He also had an internship at “JAM’N 94.5 – Boston’s #1 For Hip-Hop and Hit Music.” He did sound editing; promotional material and even did the morning show.

Higgins has had two shows this semester at HPU already. The first show was the freshmen Barefoot Luau in August. The second was opening for Gym Class Heroes at the Fall Concert.

“The Fall Concert was the biggest show for me so far,” said Higgins. “I played for an hour and it was amazing.”

Higgins was contacted two weeks prior to the show and immediately began to prepare. The director of Student Activities, Hillary Kokajko, was impressed by DJ Nico1 at the Barefoot Luau and gave him this opportunity.

He began compiling old mixes he had. He searched for new songs to mix and practiced more than usual.

Sophomore Ryan Kaika said, “DJ Nico1 was a great way to start the fall concert. I think the crowd enjoyed him a lot.”

Higgins took his passion of House music and turned it into a hobby that has led to amazing experiences. From blasting his music in his house last year, to the Jam’n 94.5 internship, to being the opening act for the Gym Class Heroes, DJ Nico1 is doing what he loves.

“Being a DJ is my dream, but I have to keep working at it. Guys like Avicii, Deadmau5, and Tiesto are really talented, but hopefully one day I can reach that level,” said Higgins.

Maybe one day we’ll be listening to DJ Nico1 on the radio. Until then, Higgins can thank his grandmother for those $300 turntables.