‘No Easy Day’ book review

By Pat Budd, Staff Writer

October 3, 2012

May 2, 2011. It’s one of those days where you can look back and say, “I remember exactly where I was when this happened.”

“Bin Laden, DEAD.” Read the Fox News ticker. It was one of the happiest moments in my life.

So when a retired Navy SEAL, who was on the mission that killed the most wanted man in the world, announced in early August, 2012 that he was planning on publishing a book about the raid, I instantly marked the release date down on my calendar.

Luckily for Amazon Kindle owners like myself, “No Easy Day” was released earlier than its fitting Sept. 11 print release date.

Author Mark Owen, a pseudonym for Matt Bissonnette, kept me awake until the wee hours of the morning, reading page after page recapping the most important military mission of all time.

Owen’s recount of the mission is exciting, colorful, powerful and a must read for all Americans because of the first hand account of how exactly the mission happened. No commentary, no editing, no unstable reports. Just cold hard fact.

Described as almost a failed mission because the helicopter carrying the SEALs crashed inadvertently, the string of events was like reading a Dean Koontz thriller novel. But it was far from fiction.

I became instantly obsessed with the book, re-reading certain chapters, picturing the raid in my head, wondering how nerve racking it would be for me if I were walking up to the third floor, known as the “guest house” and saw Bin Laden, his wife and children in a small apartment.

Osama Bin Laden was the most disgusting, hated and wanted man in the world, and the Navy SEALs team killed him. Reading “No Easy Day” was gratifying, knowing the world became a safer place with just one mission that lasted just over 10 minutes.

The book has created a bit of controversy and conversation within the political arena recently. Did Owen violate any confidentiality agreement with the Navy SEALs? Was it the right decision to publish details on this mission?

Owen’s memoirs of his time as a Navy SEAL, including the important Bin Laden mission, have not compromised any military secrets or any of his SEAL Team Six teammates identities. Owen has been on record adamantly promoting that he is not writing this book for profit (all proceeds are being donated to homeless Veterans), rather to set the record straight.

“No Easy Day” can be classified as an “educational thriller,” and a must read for all Americans.