A post-election reaction – What the other side has to say

By Patrick Budd, Staff Writer

November 9, 2012

I don’t understand it.

No, not the Electoral College. Not the network’s “decision desks” giving us real-time election results. Not the issues that were at stake in this election.

I don’t understand why the American people re-elected a president that has failed us in more areas than he has helped us.

President Obama won because he ran a better campaign, not because he was the better candidate. According to RealClearPolitics.com, multiple surveys say 39 percent of Americans believe our country is heading in the right direction, whereas 54 percent of Americans see us on the wrong track.

In 2008, then-Sen. Obama promised us unemployment rates lower than 6 percent; now it is 7.9 percent. He promised us he would cut the deficit in half; instead, he doubled it. He promised us he would close the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba detention center; it remains open.

But Barack Obama was re-elected.

Campaigns have become more of who can craft a message that will get him or her more votes and Tuesday night proved that – candidates don’t have to carry out campaign promises. President Obama made a new set of campaign promises that I am adamant he will not fulfill between now and 2016.

In 2008 I firmly believed in Gov. Mitt Romney because of his strong business background, his success in Massachusetts, and his vision for America. In 2012 I stood by my decision in supporting Gov. Romney for the same reasons.

I watched election results come in Tuesday night in total disbelief. I was disappointed in the American electorate for re-electing a president that has failed.

I’ll study the exit polls and county-by-county results for months to come. I’ll ask millions of questions to my professors, friends and classmates.

Most likely, I’ll get into a heated debate about my view on the outcome of this election. And though he most likely won’t run again in four years, I’ll still support Mitt Romney for president. But in the end…

I don’t understand it.