HPU passes Law into Dunking Finals

By Joseph Wetzler, Staff Writer

March 27, 2012

April 4, 7 p.m. ESPN.

Remember that date, time and channel because that’s when and where Corey Law will be representing High Point University in the Denny’s Slam Dunk Competition.

For the third year in a row, HPU will have a basketball player participating for a postseason award.

In 2011, Shay Shine’s dunk against UNC Asheville was a finalist for the Papa John’s Dunk of the Year on CBS. In 2012, Nick Barbour was invited to partake in the Men’s Three-Point Shooting Championship. Now, it’s Corey Law’s turn to represent HPU in the Slam Dunk Competition.

Law will look to be the only one out of these three to win the contest and bring a trophy back to HPU. He will get his chance to represent HPU and display his arsenal of dunks on national TV. He believes that he will bring the Dunk Contest trophy back to HPU.

“Definitely if I get in there I’m going to win it. I guarantee I’m going to win it,” said Law back in February.

There have been a couple of videos posted on YouTube in recent weeks showing off Law’s dunking ability. The fans have found them extremely impressive and truly show how capable he is of winning this competition. His ability and his confidence should make all HPU students very excited for this contest, especially if he pulls off his favorite dunk.

“My favorite dunk is probably off the backboard, between the legs…probably my hardest one,” said Law.

On April 4 at 7 p.m. tune in to ESPN and cheer on one of everyone’s favorite Panthers in the College Slam Dunk Competition.