I was here

By Jordan Oliver, Opinion Editor

April 24, 2013

“I wanna leave my footprints on the sands of time. Know there was something that, Meant something that, I left behind. When I leave this world, I’ll leave no regrets. Leave something to remember, So they won’t forget; I was here…”

When your time at High Point comes to an end, will people know that you were here? As I write my final article, I can’t help but wonder if I have done everything in my power to leave my college a better place for having been here. After all, isn’t that what we should all aspire to do? It is a privilege to have the chance to make a positive impact and one that we are granted by simply being alive. Whether we touch one person or many, each circumstance that allows us to bless another life is equally purposeful, and no such opportunity should be taken for granted.

“I want to say I lived each day, Until I die. And know that I meant something in somebody’s life. The hearts I have touched, Will be the proof that I leave. That I made a difference, And this world will see; I was here…”

We have one life to live, and in this case, one college experience to add to our story.  This is a time where we may perhaps have the greatest of influence; on our friends, by whom we are surrounded on a daily basis, on our younger siblings, as we pave the way before them, on our teachers, as we work to show them why they wanted to teach in the first place, and on ourselves, as we discover who it is that we truly want to become.

“I was here…I lived, I loved. I was here…I did, I’ve done; Everything that I wanted and it was more than I thought it would be; I will leave my mark so everyone will know; I was here..”

These years fly—they really do. What is hard to understand in the moment, but becomes so clear when looking back, is just how much capability they hold. You realize that you are capable of independence. You realize that you are capable of making a positive contribution to society, for you are fully equipped. And you realize that you are capable not only of making your dreams a reality, but of inspiring the dreams of those around you as well.

So use your time at High Point to draw from yourself your greatest potential—it’s an easy thing to do in a place like this. You won’t be here forever, but the mark you make, surely can be.

“I just want them to know That I gave my all, Did my best, Brought someone some happiness.

Left this world a little better just because I was here…

I was here.”

(Quotations taken from Beyonce’s “I Was Here”)