Sports bring us together

By Nolan Stout, Staff Writer

April 24, 2013

I can’t tell you I am personally affected by the bombings in Boston.

I’m a Southern boy. I’m from 45 minutes down the road in a town almost as small as the campus of High Point University. I didn’t even know anything about Boston’s “Patriot’s Day.”

I was sitting in Dr. Fredrick Schnied’s World War II class last Monday when I checked the time and saw that my sister had texted me and asked what was going on at the Boston Marathon. I thought little of it until I got back to my room.

The events of the Boston Marathon bombings go much further than just two bombs going off.

I wish I were able to run a marathon. I ran cross-country in high school and nine miles at practice was enough to knock me out.

People train their entire life for the Boston Marathon. They are cancer survivors, veterans, fathers, mothers, children and the elderly.

After running over 26 miles, runners want to lie on the ground and get some water, not to fight for their life.

Sports are supposed to offer a sanctuary from this cruel, hectic, dangerous world. Last Monday, Tamerlan Tsarnaev and Dzhokar Tsarnaev tried to take that from Boston. They may think people are going to be frightened by this.

They couldn’t be more wrong.

They probably didn’t anticipate runners continuing to run straight to the hospital to donate blood. They probably didn’t expect the lack of total mayhem. They obviously didn’t anticipate their faces popping up on every major news station in the nation.

Attacks on sporting events should happen more often, but they don’t. This is only the third major sporting event that has suffered an attack, joining the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombing and the 1972 Munich Massacre. We won’t be afraid because we have no reason to fear.

Did we decide to stop flying after Sept. 11? Did we stay home?

No. American society does not sit down and take attacks against us. The attack on Pearl Harbor angered Americans in 1941 and we jumped into war. After Sept. 11, we started chasing and looking for those responsible, and almost 10 years later we killed Osama Bin Laden. These two are responsible for killing three and forever changing the lives of hundreds. Tamerlan Tsarnaev is now dead and Dzhokar Tsarnaev is in custody.

The New York Yankees and the New York Mets kept playing after the towers fell. They brought that city together.

The Red Sox will play at Fenway again. The Celtics will play at TD Garden.

Last Wednesday, the Bruins played at the Garden, losing 3-2 to the Sabres in a shootout. But, the response was phenomenal. The crowd took over the national anthem, chants of “U-S-A” rang out, and both teams joined at center ice for a salute to the people of the city.

America will come together over this. We will not be destroyed. Our teams will play on. The Marathon will be run again next year and we will be stronger for our struggles.

As always, our sports will bring us together.