A Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering is a professional degree program that prepares students for careers in computer engineering. The degree prepares individuals to apply mathematical and scientific principles to the design, development and operational evaluation of computer hardware, embedded systems, software systems and related equipment and facilities; and the analysis of specific problems of computer applications to various tasks. A computer engineering graduate is able to design and implement a computer system for general purpose or embedded computing. Students learn to incorporate best practices and state-of-the-art solutions into a variety of computing problems in an ethical and socially-responsible manner. This includes systems which have both hardware and software components, whose design requires a well-defined interface between the two, and the evaluation of the associated trade-offs. Graduates will have strong communication skills and are capable of communicating with a range of audiences, as well the ability to work as a productive member of an interdisciplinary team.
Prepare graduates for a career as a professional computer engineer.
Graduates will be able to:
- Successfully practice computer engineering to serve state and regional industries, government agencies or national and international industries.
- Provide solutions to challenging problems in their profession by applying computer engineering theory and principles.
- Communicate effectively, work collaboratively and exhibit high levels of professionalism and ethical responsibility.
- Achieve personal and professional success with awareness and commitment to their ethical and social responsibilities, both as individuals and in team environments.
Why should I major in computer engineering at HPU?
In the age of technology, the demand for computer programmers continues to expand. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, demand for students with a degree in computer engineering is growing faster than most degrees. We are committed to incorporating the latest trends in technology into our curriculum. You will have access to the top software available. Our students invent and design new approaches to computing technology and find innovative uses for existing technology. Computer engineers enjoy excellent job prospects because many companies report difficulties finding these highly skilled workers.
What can I do with this major?
Students with a degree in computer engineering work professionally in the following areas: computer hardware and software design, embedded systems, computer networks, cyberphysical systems, robotics, system integration and electronic design automation.
Unique course offerings
- Advanced Programming with Data Structures
- CAD/CAM Fundamentals
- Computer Architecture
- Digital Logic and Computer Systems
- Discrete Structures
- Microprocessor Applications
- Operating Systems
- Programming in MATLAB
- Real-time and Embedded Systems
- Signals and Systems
Student Outcomes of the Program
Skills students will possess at the time of graduation include:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.