The Department of Computer Science offers the B.S. degree in Computer Science. To graduate from High Point University with the B.S. degree, students must complete the following:
B.S. in Computer Science
|Major Requirements||68 credits|
|University Core Requirements||50 credits|
Requirements for a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (68 credits)
Take the following courses (36 credits):
- CSC 1710. Introduction to Programming (4)
- CSC 1720. Advanced Programming with Data Structures (4)
- CSC 2212. Database Systems (4)
- CSC 2342. Discrete Structures (4)
- CSC 2410. Computer Systems (4)
- CSC 2710. Advanced Data Structures with Algorithm Development (4)
- CSC 4510. Programming Language Design and Translation (4)
- MTH 1410. Calculus I or MTH 1415 Mathematics for Engineers I (4)
- Capstone Course CSC 4710. Software Engineering (4)
Select two courses from the following based on your interest in computer science (8 credits)
MTH-1420, MTH-1425, MTH-2050, MTH-2310, MTH-2410, MTH-3150, MTH-3810, MTH/CSC-3910, STS-2910, STS-3005
Select any two of the following Science courses (8 credits):
BIO-1500/1501, BIO-2001/2001L, CHM-1010/1011, CHM 1020/1021, PHY 2010/2010L, PHY-2020/2020L, PHY-2200
Select four CSC electives at the 2000-level or above, at least one of which is at the 4000-level
Note: MTH/CSC-3910 cannot count for both math and CSC electives.
Note: Neither CSC 4910 nor CSC 4920 count towards this requirement.
In addition to the courses required for the major, students wishing to graduate with departmental honors need to also complete CSC 4910 Undergraduate Research I and CSC 4920 Undergraduate Research II.
The requirements on this page are applicable for students first enrolling in the 2019-2020 Academic Year. Older students should see their applicable Undergraduate Bulletin for details.