Counseling Services offers a variety of workshops, groups, and trainings throughout the year.
Check out our new groups for Fall 2020!
Contact us to register: 336.888.6352
- Tuesdays 2:00-3:00pm AND Wednesdays 3:00-4:00pm.
- Focuses on helping you understand anxiety symptoms and build skills to manage these symptoms. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to: (1) understanding anxiety, (2) introducing a method for slowing down and disentangling the experience of anxiety, and (3) developing alternative responses to anxiety. By the end of the workshop, you will have your own individualized plan for managing anxiety.
- Start Date: 9/22 (9/22, 9/29, 10/6)
- Start Date: 9/23 (9/23, 9/30, 10/7) Wednesday Group
- Start Date: 10/13 (10/13, 10/20, 10/27)
- Start Date: 10/14 (10/14, 10/21, 10/28) Wednesday Group
- Start Date: 11/3 (11/3, 11/10, 11/17)
BRIDGE to Healthy Relationships
- Fridays 2:00-3:00 pm
- Focuses on identifying ways to foster healthy relationships via self-monitoring, effective communication, and conflict resolution skills. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to help you: (1) better understand your values and boundaries in relationships, (2) learn the role of culture in communication, different styles of communication, and strategies for effective communication, and (3) identify common causes of conflict and effective conflict management techniques.
- Start Date: 9/25 (9/25, 10/2, 10/9)
- Start Date: 10/16 (10/16, 10/23, 10/30)
- Start Date: 11/6 (11/6, 11/13, 11/20)
Getting Unstuck from Depression
- Thursdays 3:00-4:00 pm
- Focuses on helping you understand depressive symptoms and build skills to manage these symptoms. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to: (1) understanding depression, (2) exploring how thoughts and behaviors impact depression, and (3) addressing how you can begin to make changes to thoughts and behaviors in order to better manage depression. By the end of the workshop, you will have your own individualized plan for getting unstuck!
- Start Date: 10/8 (10/8, 10/15, 10/22)
Seeking Emotional Serenity from Emotional Distress
- Thursday 3:00-4:00pm
- Informed by dialectical behavior therapy and is designed for students who experience overwhelming emotions that feel difficult to manage. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to: (1) distress tolerance, (2) emotion regulation, and (3) mindfulness. By the end of the workshop, you will have strategies for better managing overwhelming emotions.
- Start Date: 10/29 (10/29, 11/5, 11/12)
- This program is available for High Point University students who have four months or more into active, abstinent recovery from an addiction with a commitment to ongoing sobriety. Students who have not yet reached four months but are committed to abstinence are eligible for support from Office of Counseling Services. Students who are interested in this group must schedule a consultation by calling 336.888.6352. Please indicate you are interested in the Recovery Adventures group.
Fall 2020 Trainings
Suicide Prevention: Question, Persuade, Refer
QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer – the 3 simple steps anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. The mission of QPR is to reduce suicidal behaviors and save lives by providing innovative, practical and proven suicide training. The signs of crisis are all around us. We believe that quality education empowers all people, regardless of their background, to make a positive difference in the life of someone they know. This 2 hour training is being held virtually for this fall. This training is open to student, staff and faculty. Register on HPU CONNECT! Questions? email Tess, email@example.com
September 17th, 2020, 3-5pm
September 29th, 2020, 10am-12pm (Staff & Faculty only)
October 8th, 2020, 3-5pm
October 20th, 2020, 3-5pm
Follow Panther Prevention on Instagram @pantherprevention