In the course, EDU 7275 Human Resources: Approaches to Enhance School Effectiveness, the candidate will be expected to demonstrate effective use of district resources, procedures, and processes to effectively lead in the area of human resources. The Human Resources Planning Wiki evidence requires the Ed.D. candidate to manage one section of a district level wiki which is designed to provide interactive information about the district’s strategic planning. The candidate will be responsible for the section on the wiki, which addresses Human Resources. Upon completion of this evidence the candidate will provide evidence of the following outcomes:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of resources, structures, rules, and policies that govern district expectations of staff, faculty, and students;
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of policies and procedures related to human resources from a district perspective;
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of policies and procedures that govern conduct and ethics of staff, faculty, and students in human resources functions;
- Demonstrate an ability to respond to questions, comments, or suggestions for content revision by other key stakeholders including the professor and other doctoral candidates in the Ed.D. Cohort.
Directions and Candidate Requirements
You have been asked to provide updated information in order to maintain two links in a wiki of your school district’s Strategic Plan (i.e., create a wiki in Blackboard with two links). One link will be completed in EDU 7275 Human Resources: Approaches to Enhance School Effectiveness; while the second link will be completed in EDU 7274 Budgeting and Finance of Public School Operations.
The function of the HR wiki is to provide access to all stakeholders on the beliefs, priorities, goals, and objectives of the district, as related to HR and budgetary issues. One of the links you will be managing, the Hiring, Recruiting, and Retaining Quality Staff, has the following priority statement, “To Hire, Retain, Cultivate, and Promote High Quality Personnel.” Three primary objectives:
- To implement and evaluate a sound employment process for recruiting, screening, and hiring effective personnel,
- To provide targeted professional development and training with ongoing, classroom-embedded support that enhances employee job performance and student learning, and
- To develop a framework for identifying, nurturing, and developing leaders across the district that has been identified through the district’s strategic plan.
The following information should be gathered by the candidate and provided on the first wiki link under the objectives noted above:
- Describe HR processes from a district perspective in four broad areas: (1) recruiting and screening; (2) selecting, placing, inducting, and developing; (3) evaluating, coaching and mentoring; and (4) compensating and promoting to leadership positions.
- Develop a table of recommendations for improved management of HR functions in the school district or from a description of HR functions from a simulated school district.
- Describe processes that govern performance evaluations in North Carolina public schools. The primary state legislation and relevant DPI regulations must be referenced. Provide an overview of the evaluation process from the district perspective that must include a district position statement on the security of all sensitive and confidential data related to teacher performance and student data related to teacher performance. This position statement should address how this information is gathered, stored, and disseminated at both the school and district level.
- Provide a video of a simulated performance evaluation, with expectations and recommendations for performance improvement that is aligned to the district’s policies and procedures as a sample which will appear on the website.
- Review, analyze, and interpret simulated performance evaluation data to support and improve faculty/staff performance.
- Using your above analyses, develop a plan for nurturing and developing two of the individuals for whom simulated performance evaluation data has been provided.
- Using the following sources (district goals, school improvement plans, teacher needs assessment surveys, student outcomes/achievement data, teacher performance evaluations) identify potential areas for Professional Development focus in your school district. Create a sample professional development plan to be included on the website that addresses the following questions:
- How will the plan support one or more district goals?
- How can you distribute leadership and accountability for the plan’s success?
- Develop a budget for the professional development and identify a source of funding
- What settings, learning formats; coaching and mentoring opportunities are available and are able to support the plan?
- What steps can be taken to encourage staff to develop greater commitment to the plan?
- Do the target participants have the background knowledge and skills necessary to build on throughout this plan?
- How will the plan be evaluated?
- At various points during this course, the professor of the course or your cohort colleagues may visit your wiki as you are posting information and make comments or ask questions about the content on the Hiring, Recruiting, and Retaining Quality Staff Since a wiki is a collaborative and interactive tool, responses to these inquiries or comments will be addressed by the candidate.
The rubric for assessment of Electronic Evidence #3A (Human Resources Planning Wiki) appears below and will be used in EDU 7275 Human Resources: Approaches to Enhance School Effectiveness. This evidence will constitute a percentage of the final grade (instructor discretion) in the course.
Candidates will be instructed to provide the link to their wiki site as their final Electronic Evidence #3A to Foliotek. This electronic evidence will also be part of the required Gateway Assessment #3 (36-Hour Review) which occurs at the end of Year 2 in the Ed.D. Program.