Office of Student Financial Planning
Student Financial Planning

Federal Student & Parent Loan Information

Federal Loans Available Through High Point University


On Tuesday, March 30, 2010, President Obama signed the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 into law.  This Reconciliation Act ends the Federal Family Education Loan (FFELP) Program and requires all schools to begin awarding loans through the Federal Direct Loan Programs (FDLP). Because of this major switch, students who had previously been awarded will receive updated award letters with the new loan fund listed.  All new awards after 3/31/10 will contain Federal Direct Stafford and/or Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans.

High Point University has completed the process of switching all 2010-11 academic year loan awards to the new program, and updated award letters have been mailed to students who had previously been awarded. The new packet contains detailed instructions and information concerning the new loan program.  You are not required to return any award materials, including online loan applications, until after you have received the new packet.

With the Federal Direct Loan Program, loan limits, interest rates, and repayment terms are exactly the same with both programs. Federal PLUS Loans for Parents will also have the same credit requirements, so there is no difference there either. The difference is the lender.

Students who wish to receive Federal Direct Stafford Loans and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans must complete loan entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN), even if they have borrowed previously under the Federal Family Education Loan Program.  If you wish, you can submit your entrance counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN) prior to receiving your award letter.  You will need to create a login ID at this site using your Federal PIN number. If you need a PIN reminder, please and follow the instructions on receiving a reminder.  You can also find extensive information about the Federal Direct Loan Program at as well as .

Parents who wish to apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan must also go to and create a login ID and use their Federal PIN numbers to sign in.  Follow the instructions above about receiving a PIN reminder if you need one.  Parents should complete the Federal Direct PLUS Loan process to determine if they will be approved for the loan; High Point University will receive an electronic confirmation of the loan’s status within 24-48 hours after application. If a parent has been previously approved through another lender for the 2010-11 year, they must complete the process again through the Federal Direct PLUS Loan program. You can find more information on Federal PLUS Loans at

Thank you for your patience as we comply with the new Federal requirements for loans.  We look forward to seeing you this fall!


*Use the Internet Explorer 7 browser ONLY (other browsers are not working well with the website).

*Click on the Sign In button in the Manage My Direct Loan box on the main page of the website.

*Enter all of the appropriate information in the Sign In box, then click the Sign IN button.

*On the left side of the page, click the appropriate link for the form you wish to complete. Make sure you fill out all information and have clicked on the final submit button before exiting the website.


Students should ALWAYS exhaust their Federal loan resources before seeking other alternative loan funds from private lenders.

If you have financial need remaining after your EFC (estimated family contribution as determined by the FAFSA), the amount of any Federal Pell Grant funds your are eligible for, and aid from other sources are subtracted from your cost of attendance, you can borrow a Federal Direct Stafford Loan to cover some or all of that remaining need. This type of loan is a subsidized loan. If you are eligible for a subsidized loan, the government will pay the   interest on your loan while you’re in school, for the first six months after you   leave school, and when you qualify to have your payments deferred.

Depending on your financial need, you may borrow subsidized money for an amount up to the annual loan borrowing limit for your grade level. (Annual loan limits are listed below.)

You might be able to borrow loan funds beyond your subsidized loan amount or even if you don’t have demonstrated financial need. In that case, you’d receive   an unsubsidized loan. Your school will subtract the total amount of your other financial aid from your cost of attendance to determine whether you are eligible   for an unsubsidized loan. Unlike a subsidized loan, you are responsible for the   interest from the time the unsubsidized loan is disbursed until it is paid in   full. You can choose to pay the interest or allow it to accumulate and be capitalized (that is, added to the principal amount of your loan).

You might be able to receive a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan for   the same enrollment period as long as it doesn’t exceed the annual loan limits.

How will I get the loan money?
You’ll be paid through High Point University. Your loan money must first be applied to pay for tuition and fees, room and board, and other school   charges. If loan money remains, you’ll receive the funds by check or in cash, unless you give the school written authorization to hold the funds until later in the enrollment period.

How much can I borrow?
If you’re a dependent undergraduate student, each year you can   borrow up to:

  • $5,500 if you’re a first-year student enrolled in a program of study that is at least a full academic year.
  • $6,500 if you’ve completed your first year of study and the remainder of your program is at least a full academic year.
  • $7,500 if you’ve completed two years of study and the remainder of your program is at least a full academic year.

If you’re an independent undergraduate student or a dependent student   whose parents have applied and were unable to get a PLUS Loan (a parent loan),   each year you can borrow up to:

  • $9,500 if you’re a first-year student enrolled in a   program of study that is at least a full academic year (at least $4,000 of this   amount must be in unsubsidized loans).
  • $10,500 if you’ve completed your first year of study and   the remainder of your program is at least a full academic year (at least $4,000   of this amount must be in unsubsidized loans).
  • $12,500 if you’ve completed two years of study and the   remainder of your program is at least a full academic year (at least $5,000 of   this amount must be in unsubsidized loans).

These amounts are the maximum yearly amounts you can borrow in both   subsidized and unsubsidized FFELs, individually or in combination. Because you   can’t borrow more than your cost of attendance minus both the amount of any Pell   Grant you’re eligible for and any other financial aid you’ll get, you may   receive less than the annual maximum amounts.

What’s the interest rate?
Interest rates for the 2009-10 academic year are fixed at 6.8% for the Stafford Loan Program and 8.5% for the Parent Plus Loan.

When do I pay back the loan?
After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time   enrollment, you will have a six-month “grace period” before you begin repayment.   During this period, you will receive repayment information, and you’ll be   notified of your first payment due date. You are responsible for beginning   repayment on time, even if you don’t receive this information. Payments are   usually due monthly. You can access all of your student loan information at

The following lenders are frequently used by the Office of Financial Planning for Subsidized StaffordUnsubsudized Stafford and Parent Plus Loans. For more information on specific lender benefits, please utilize the link provided:

All borrowers must complete entrance counseling before HPU can certify a loan. All borrowers must also complete a Master   Promissory Note(MPN) with the lender of their choice before loan funds can be   disbursed. Loan funds are normally disbursed twice a year, once for fall and   once for spring. Funds are applied to student accounts to offset any remaining   charges, and excess amounts (if any) are refunded to the student to be used for   other educational expenses.

PLEASE NOTE: If a student is eligible for a refund of loan proceeds, the   refunds will not be ready until at least three weeks after the end of the   drop/add period.Students with anticipated credit balances on their student accounts will be able to charge books and supplies against this credit at the   High Point University Bookstore. Refund amounts will be reduced by any amounts   charged for books and supplies.

Additionally, it is the student’s responsibility to have   an exit interview before leaving the University or in the event he or she   registers for less than half-time basis (minimum of six credit hours). The   Office of Financial Planning will provide borrowers of any Federal Direct Loan   repayment information during the semester in which they plan to graduate. It is   the student’s responsibility to contact the Office of Financial Planning if they   are not contacted when they withdraw or enroll less than half-time (minimum of   six credit hours) to obtain exit interview information. Exit counseling information   online.

Federal Parent PLUS   Loans
PLUS Loans enable parents with good   credit histories to borrow to pay the education expenses of each child who is a dependent undergraduate student enrolled at least half time. To be eligible to   receive a PLUS Loan, your parents generally will be required to pass a credit check. If they don’t pass the credit check, they might   still be able to receive a loan if someone, such as a relative or friend who is   able to pass the credit check, agrees to endorse the loan, promising to repay it if your parents should fail to do so.

The yearly limit on a PLUS Loan is equal to your cost of attendance minus any other financial aid you receive. For example, if your cost of attendance is $6,000 and you receive $4,000 in other financial aid, your parents could borrow   up to–but no more than–$2,000.

What’s the interest rate on PLUS   Loans?
The interest rate is fixed at 8.5 percent.  Interest is charged on the loan from the date the first disbursement is made until the loan is paid in full.

How will my parents be paid?
For a FFEL PLUS Loan, the loan funds will be sent to High Point by   the lender. In most cases, the loan will be disbursed in at least two   installments (no installment can be greater than half the loan amount).   The funds will first be used to pay for your tuition and fees, room and board,  and other school charges. If any loan money remains, your parents will receive the amount as a check or in cash, unless they authorize it to be released to you   or to be put in your school account. Any remaining loan money must be used for   your education expenses.

Is there a charge for a PLUS   Loan?
Your parents will pay a fee of up to 4 percent of the loan. This fee is deducted   proportionately each time a loan payment is made. For a FFEL PLUS Loan, a portion of this fee goes to the federal government to help reduce the cost of   the loans.  Also, if your parents don’t make their loan payments when they’re   scheduled, they may be charged collection costs and late   fees.

When do my parents begin repaying a PLUS   Loan?
Generally, repayment must begin within 60 days after the final loan disbursement for the academic   year. There is no grace period for these loans. This means that interest begins   to accumulate at the time the first disbursement is made. Your parents must   begin repaying both principal and interest while you’re in school.

Is it ever possible to postpone repayment of a PLUS   Loan?
Yes. Under certain circumstances, your   parents can receive a deferment or forbearanceon their loan.   Generally, the conditions for eligibility and procedures for requesting a deferment or forbearance that apply to Stafford Loans also apply to PLUS Loans.   However, since all PLUS Loans are unsubsidized, your parents will be charged interest during periods of deferment or forbearance. If they do not pay the   interest as it accrues, it will be capitalized.

How do I apply for a Federal PLUS Loan?

Parents can apply for a Federal PLUS Loan for Parents through the Federal Direct Loans website.  Federal PLUS Loans are subject to credit approval and are not guaranteed.

High Point   University Student Financial Planning Code of Conduct and Policy on Education   Loans


This code of   conduct applies to all High Point University officers, employees, and agents who   have responsibilities with respect to education loans. This code reinforces and reflects High Point University’s continuing commitment to conduct financial aid practices with integrity, free from conflicts of interest, in the interest of   students, and in compliance with applicable law.

Any violations   of this policy will be subject to the High Point University code of   conduct.


For purpose of   this code of conduct, lending institution means:

  1. Any entity that itself or through an affiliate engages in the business of making loans to   students, parents or others for purposes of financing higher education expenses   or that securitizes such loans; or
  2. Any entity, or association of entities, that guarantees or services education loans; or
  3. Any industry, trade or professional association that receives money from any entity described   above in subsections (a) and (b).

I. Limitations   Regarding Lending Institutions

High Point   University prohibits:

  1. any   revenue-sharing arrangement with any lending institution. Revenue sharing is any arrangement by which a lender pays High Point University a percentage of the   principal loan taken by a borrower or otherwise compensates High Point University as a result of a borrower taking a loan.
  2. accepting or soliciting anything of value from any lending institution related to its   education loan activity, including but not be limited to: (i) revenue sharing by   a lending institution with High Point University, (ii) High Point University’s receipt from any lending institution of any computer hardware for which High   Point University pays below-market prices and (iii) printing costs or   services.
  3. accepting or soliciting staffing assistance from a lending institution, including but not   limited to call center staffing or Student Financial Planning office   staffing.
  4. identifying any employee or other agent of a lending institution to students or prospective   students of High Point University or their parents as an employee or agent of High Point University.
  5. arranging with a lending institution to provide any opportunity loans, if the provision of such   opportunity loans prejudices any other borrower. For purpose of this code, an opportunity loan agreement is an arrangement whereby a lending institution agrees to make loans up to a specified aggregate amount to students with poor or   no credit history, or to international students whom the lending institution   claims would not otherwise be eligible for its loan programs, in exchange for concessions or promises by the University that may prejudice other borrowers.
  6. accepting or   soliciting any funds to be used for private educational loans or opportunity pool loans in exchange for providing a lending institution with a specified number of federal loans, a specified loan volume or a preferred lender   arrangement.
  7. assigning a   first-time borrower to a particular lender, or refusing to certify, or delaying certification, of any loan based on the borrower’s selection of a lending   institution.

II.   Limitations on University Officers, Employees or Agents

High Point   University prohibits any officer, employee, or agent of High Point University who has responsibility with respect to education loans from:

  1. receiving any   remuneration for serving as a member or participant of an advisory board of a lending institution, or receiving any reimbursement of expenses for so serving,   provided, however, that participation on advisory boards that are unrelated in   any way to higher education loans shall not be prohibited by the code. Notwithstanding the above, individuals are not prohibited from serving on a   board of directors of a publicly traded or privately held company.
  2. consulting or   providing other contract services for a lending institution. This article does not prohibit a financial aid officer from consulting for, or serving on advisory board constituted by, the federal government consistent with federal law.
  3. owning stock or   holding any another financial interest in an educational lending institution,   other than through ownership of shares in a publicly traded mutual fund or similar investment vehicle in which the person does not exercise any discretion regarding the investment of the assets of the investment vehicle.
  4. soliciting or accepting gifts or anything of more than de minimus value on his or her own behalf or on behalf of another from or on behalf of a lending institution and receiving any payment or reimbursement by a lending institution to a University employee for lodging, meals, or travel to conferences or training   seminars. This provision shall not be construed to prohibit any officer, employee, or agent of High Point University who has responsibility with respect to educational loans from conducting non-University business activity with any lending institution, or prevent High Point University from holding membership in   any nonprofit professional association.

For purpose of   this code, “gifts” include any gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment,   hospitality, loan, or other item having a monetary value of more than a de minimus amount, including services, transportation, lodging, and meals. A gift does not include standard materials, activities or programs related to a   loan being provided; favorable terms, conditions or borrower benefits provided   to a student employed by High Point University if comparable terms are provided to all students of High Point University; philanthropic contributions to an   institution unrelated to education loans; or state education grants,   scholarships or financial aid funds.

III. Member of  NASFAA

As members of   the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA), a person employed as a financial aid administrator of High Point University will follow the following NASFAA Code of Conduct. The full text can be found   here.


Our main office is located in Suite 100 of Roberts Hall.

Phone: (336) 841-9124
Fax: (336) 841-4649
Title IV School code: 002933
Connect with us
On the Social page, you can view all of High Point University’s social media feeds, connect to specific majors and schools on Facebook, and get the latest updates about what’s happening on campus.