Office of Student Financial Planning


Federal Grants

Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate to promote access to post secondary education. For many students, the Pell grant is the cornerstone of their financial aid package. To be considered for this grant, students must fill out the FAFSA .

  • Available to Undergraduates pursuing their first undergraduate degree and not enrolled in a professional program. Students with a prior bachelor’s degree cannot be considered.
  • Students must also be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Grant Limits 

  • Awards range from $574 to $5,645 per academic year depending on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated from the FAFSA. The closer to zero the EFC, the larger the possible award.

Required Credits

  • To receive the maximum award (100%) you must be enrolled in 12 or more credit hours per semester.
  • If enrolling in 9 to 11 credit hours per semester, you may receive up to 75% of the maximum award.
  • If enrolling in 6 to 8 credit hours per semester, you may receive up to 50% of the maximum award.
  • A minimum award may be made for students enrolled in less than six credits per term.
  • Pell Grant is paid by the semester, one-half of the annual award for fall term and one-half for spring term. If a student attends less than full-time both semesters or only attends one term, they may have Pell eligibility for the following summer term.
  • Pell Grant is credited to the student’s account no sooner than the first day of the semester or as soon as the award is ready.
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) 

Federal grant program for undergraduate students with exceptional need and can provide from $500 to $2,000 per year. To be considered for this grant, students must fill out the FAFSA.         


The TEACH grant program provides additional funding to students who are interested in careers in Teaching. This is a grant which requires certain conditions to be met to avoid repayment. If recipients do not complete their service obligation, all amounts of the TEACH Grants will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and repaid to the U.S. Department of Education.

Teaching Service Obligation – As a TEACH Grant Recipient, you must agree to:

  • Teach as a highly-qualified teacher for at least four academic years within eight calendar years after completing the program for which you received the grant.
  • Teach in a “high-need” field (mathematics, science, special education, foreign language, bilingual education, reading specialist, or other “high-need” fields as designated by the state and listed in the Department of Education’s Annual Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide listing.
  • Teach in a private or public elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students and listed in the Department of Education’s Annual Directory of Designated Low-Income Schools for Teacher Cancellation Benefits.
TEACH Grant Amount
  • Provides up to $4,000 per scheduled award year ($16,000 total for an undergraduates; $8,000 for graduates). If you are enrolled less than full-time (12 credits for undergraduates; 10 credits for graduates) you will receive a pro-rated amount.
  • Please note: the amount of the TEACH grant is considered a resource toward determining your eligibility for other aid.
Eligibility Requirements
  • You must complete the FAFSA, but financial need is not required.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • You must have a cumulative GPA of a least 3.25 at time of disbursement. New transfer students must have at least a 3.25 cumulative transfer GPA.
  • You must receive initial, subsequent and exit counseling. The counseling requirement will be online and will cover your rights and responsibilities as a recipient.
  • You must sign an Agreement to Serve (ATS) every year before the grant can be disbursed. The ATS specifies the conditions under which the grant will be awarded and the teaching service requirements listed above. In signing, you are acknowledging that if you do not meet the teaching service requirements you will repay the grant as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan with interest accrued from the date the grant funds were disbursed.


Our main office is located in Suite 100 of Roberts Hall.

Phone: (336) 841-9124
Fax: (336) 841-4649
FAFSA/Title IV School code: 002933