Extraordinary Education

08.12.2009

As you all know, I recently attended High Point University’s Summer Experience program for incoming freshman.

I’ve already talked about the social aspects of Summer Experience, but I wanted to convey the awesome academic experience, as well.  Yes, I know academics are one of the last topics you want to hear about the summer before your senior year of high school, but in reality, the main reason you are coming to college is so that you can learn. Or at least, that is what my parents keep reminding me ;-)

For starters, I earned seven hours of college credit. Now, I know there are some of you who have been racking up AP credits since ninth grade and even more of you who have already taken summer classes at your local college. But 7 hours is a lot for one month of work. That’s half a semester! For those of you entering college with absolutely no credit hours, that means that you may not have to take as many courses your first semester (which, trust me, is very nice).

Summer Experience also prepared me for my Fall Semester, especially in the areas of studying and time management. I don’t know if you are like me, but by my senior year in high school, I wasn’t dedicating very much energy to studying.  So, instead of having to struggle in the fall trying to get used to studying again, I was given a crash course in the month of Summer Experience.  I also was reminded of how key time management skills are for success in college, and life for that matter.

The really cool thing is that if you never really learned how to study or manage your time in high school, High Point is there to help.  Many of my friends took ADV 101: Foundations for Academic Success, a class that teaches how to properly study for college courses and make the most of your time.

On top of that, I was also blown away with how special and attentive the faculty is in the academic aspects of the school. I knew the faculty would live up to the “caring people” phrase I’ve heard so often, but truly my professors were so helpful and obviously care deeply for their students.

Any nervousness that I had about starting school this fall is gone.  Because of Summer Experience, I have already made a large group of close friends, I know my way around the campus, I have honed my study skills, and I have proven to myself that I can balance the academic and social aspects of college life.  What a great feeling!  I highly recommend High Point University and The Incredible Summer Experience Program.

Once again High Point has me saying – “WOW!”