A Steakhouse on Campus!

12.3.2009

I cannot believe the semester is almost over! The first half of my freshman year has flown by, almost as if someone has hit the fast forward button. I have been so busy with studies, friends, and cheerleading that I haven’t even noticed that the semester was ending until I turned my calendar to December…

Me with the other freshmen cheerleaders before a basketball game.

As fast as it has gone by, this has truly been a wonderful semester. You know what they say-time flies when you are having fun! Looking back on my classes, I see what great experiences I have had with professors and fellow classmates. I have learned so much, both inside and outside the classroom. I have been placed in an environment where I have been allowed to make my own decisions about how I spend my time and who I spend it with, and what I have learned I will carry for the rest of my life.

I have also made so many great friends the past few months-almost too many to keep track of! I look at all my friends, my classroom experience, and all the other amazing things HPU offers and consider myself ridiculously lucky and blessed.

Speaking of amazing things that High Point offers, a new restaurant recently opened on campus called 1924 Prime. But, it’s not just any normal restaurant, it’s a steakhouse! And it’s part of the meal plan! As students, we get to enjoy a wonderfully prepared three-course meal once every week. I have taken advantage of this opportunity twice since it has been open, and I am going again with some of my girlfriends tonight! The food is amazing and the atmosphere is even better, providing us with a unique learning experience in which we are able to practice proper fine-dining etiquette.

Enjoying an incredible dinner with friends at HPU's Steakhouse, 1924 Prime

But, as always, the new steakhouse is not the only place HPU students are treated nicely. I was able to get a free cup of hot chocolate at the kiosk on the Promenade while I was on my way to class the other morning. Also, the UC has been offering hot chocolate and roasted chestnuts to students for the holiday season. And for those wonderful late nights studying in the new UC learning commons, we’re given free milk and cookies!

It is the little things like these that always put a smile on my face and make my college experience even more extraordinary. It almost makes me sad to think that my first semester is over so quickly, because that can only mean that the next three and a half years will fly by just as fast!