Introducing John

07.12.2011

Hi, I’m John Marsicano.

For those of you who just sat there trying to pronounce my last name correctly, Marsicano is pronounced Mar-see-cano. Glad we cleared that up, but I digress…

My full name is John Joseph Marsicano IV. Therefore, if you haven’t already caught on, there are obviously three other men in my family named John Joseph Marsicano. Think that’s pretty cool? How do you feel about my sister, Maria Marie Marsicano VI? It’s an Italian joke people, lighten up, we’re not that crazy.

Listen, I was born and raised in Long Island, New York. I am a New Yorker. No, I don’t live in New York City but I am still a New Yorker because I live in the state of New York. If you are from Hawaii, you are a Hawaiian, right? I’m from New York, I’m a New Yorker.

I do spend a lot of time in Manhattan though. New York City is an incredible place and it provides a sense of excitement and opportunity that very few places in this world are able to duplicate. Guess what, it probably takes me about ten seconds to identify a tourist. I’ll let you in on a few secrets:

• There’s no reason to spend fifteen minutes staring in awe at the Empire State Building. It’s only a building. I promise it’ll still be there after lunch.

• If you find one resident of New York wearing a hat resembling the crown worn by the Statue of Liberty, I’ll do your laundry for a semester.

• Chances are you’re probably not going to ever get a taxi.

• Just because I’m not wearing the shirt doesn’t mean I don’t love NY too!

• You’re probably not going to get mugged on the subway, so the sooner you stop worrying, the less walking you’ll have to do.

• If you’re looking for the most uncomfortable few minutes of your life, make eye contact with someone else on the subway.

• The Statue of Liberty looks no different up close. Save your thirty bucks.

• Broadway is just a street with theatres; the plays take place inside the theatres, not in the middle of the street. Don’t expect an epiphany when you arrive.

• Lastly, don’t apologize when you bump into someone you don’t know. You won’t get an apology so save your breath. Don’t take it personally.

Here’s a Fun Fact:

I have been selected to participate in High Point University’s inaugural Media Entertainment Fellows program of the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication. Okay I apologize; none of you know what that means. Basically, sixteen incoming freshmen (including myself) have been placed in a program that requires us to live together (in Belk Hall) and take classes together. Also, the sixteen of us will be traveling to various internships across the country, where we will acquire hands-on experience in the world of media and entertainment. Our first internship will take place next year in Los Angeles. In addition, industry professionals and artists will be brought on campus for exclusive workshops with members of the fellowship, allowing for an abundance of additional experiences.

I hope this gave you all a little taste of what I’m about. I would like to thank anyone and everyone who took time to read my post and I look forward to all the feedback that follows, positive or negative. I am looking forward to starting my life on that incredible campus at High Point, with incredible people and it’s all less than two months away!

It’s all said and done, it’s been real and it’s been fun.